Knitting and Crochet Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Super Moderator
Name on Ravelry: JessicaJean, no hyphen, no space.
87,330 Posts

·
Registered
3,408 Posts
It probably depends on the weight of the yarn. I wound 2 strands of baby yarn together out to the edge of the cone of the winder. I didn't put it on a scale, but it did not feel too heavy and the handle was still turning easily. I m sure a thicker yarn would take up more space so you would not get as many yards on it. Since it says 10 ounces, I would try to stay under that so the winder would last longer.

·
Registered
241 Posts
ruth Roxanne said:
It probably depends on the weight of the yarn. I wound 2 strands of baby yarn together out to the edge of the cone of the winder. I didn't put it on a scale, but it did not feel too heavy and the handle was still turning easily. I m sure a thicker yarn would take up more space so you would not get as many yards on it. Since it says 10 ounces, I would try to stay under that so the winder would last longer.
Thanks! This definitely helps --

·
Registered
4,092 Posts
Wow - That's a VERY good price!! For worsted and up especially! I'd use my smaller one on fingering and most sport-wt but I'm really tempted....!
My electrician DH has mechanized this same model for my—w/a speed control yet!—but I just can't see lugging it out every time I want to wind off a quick skein. I was planning to sell that one anyway!
PS, The whole cone lifts off every time w/the pull-skein when I'm done winding on this small one. I don't think it's supposed to do that...
It's a pain and it bothers me, especially since it cost approx the same as this larger one, from one of the nationally known retailers.
You can still wind small pull-skeins on this one; just stop sooner. It's just that it won't fit in my drawer as easily as the small one does....

·
Registered
4,092 Posts
No, but it certainly does make it a one-quick operation!
Putting the loose skein on the swift, snug it up and align the fibers, then hook the end into the ball winder as he shows.
It totally eliminates having to hand-wind a ball from putting the skein over your knees/ someone's hands, the back of a chair or two.... I just plain ordered the Swedish Swift from Yarn Barn from Yarn Barn in KS .. and wondered why I put it off for so long. I has definitely cut off more than an hour ... or 2 for each skein!

·
Registered
4,092 Posts
As a reminder to myself, I just went back into the Yarn Barn's online catalog to check the price I paid in mid-August: (small) Ball Winder (one arm)
Item #: WA-WW-BALL
$44.95
Wow - that makes this one an even better Good Deal! I remember getting these for $22 in the early 80s...
I've spent this month's budget on yarn already but will be purchasing this one next month, for sure! I also will be putting my 'electrified' one online for sale...

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top Bottom