Knitting and Crochet Forum banner
  • Wondering how to use different site features? Please visit our FAQ. Still have questions? Post to our Community Help section for a speedy response.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
6,178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was at a knitting group when one of the ladies brought her project and said she was stumped. She was at an increase in the pattern (a baby dress) and the pattern said to increase without making a hole by doing "up 1". No one at our group knew what this meant. We looked in the back of the book and thankfully there was a glossary.

"Up 1" is the same as M1. Who knew?!

·
Registered
6,178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hotpot said:
I thought it might be but what do you do on the next row with the extra stitch k2 tog maybe? :(
You are making an extra stitch in order to increase. You need to stitch and you just work it as the pattern says.

·
Registered
885 Posts
:) When I read "up 1", my first thought was......well, it's just opposite of M1 when you make a stitch through the previous row.....so you make a stitch through the next row?????
:shock: :mrgreen:

I better go get some coffee right now! :oops: :oops:

·
Registered
22,470 Posts
I hear another lesson in using our core understanding of knitting and applying it. It is just like reading someone's notes on KP where language or writing skills are not perfect. We automatically edit what we read, making corrections, so we can understand what is trying to be said.

Reading knitting patterns is often just like that.

·
Registered
6,178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Jessica-Jean said:
It would be interesting to know where that book was made and when. Also, was it originally in English or was it translated from another language?
The book was fancy baby knitted items, but a contemporary author, not my book so I don't remember who the author was.

Poor Els has really struggled knitting this pattern. We tease her that the baby who receives this will be the daughter of the baby she's knitting it for.

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
why could they not say increase 1 stitch I have knit to long now for patterns that have a whole new language with them the older language was so simple to use and it worked. I have some of my mothers books from the 1930's and they have simple instructions that work and a list of what the abrevations mean in the back of the books and mine from the 60's and 70's and they were easy to use also. Sorry I cant spell today and some mouse has stolen the dictionary I keep by my keyboard

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top Bottom