Knitting and Crochet Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
2,615 Posts
No, it's not. All you need to start is yarn and a crochet hook. You can buy only one or a set from places like Walmart. Here's an excellent crochet tutorial program by the Curtzy Crochet Hooks company. Ignore the part about signing up and getting free lessons in your email. The series is complete here.

http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL69F5A7FE3F95232F

·
Registered
1,929 Posts
It is pretty simple once you understand that everything is based on loops and chains;) you can find tons of resources online and on YouTube to help you out. Don't even bother wasting money on buying a book!

·
Registered
1,929 Posts
Cindy M said:
No, it's not. All you need to start is yarn and a crochet hook. You can buy only one or a set from places like Walmart. Here's an excellent crochet tutorial program by the Curtzy Crochet Hooks company. Ignore the part about signing up and getting free lessons in your email. The series is complete here.

Yes this is very helpful

·
Registered
2,080 Posts
I am attempting to learn at the moment from Youtube videos. I found the basics easy enough to pick up, but need to practice a lot more yet. I haven't found a way of holding the yarn that is comfortable for me. I seem to have fewer stitches on each row every time and haven't figured out yet where I'm going wrong.
I am confident that I will master it eventually - after all, I managed to learn to knit and that is on 2 pins - how hard can 1 pin be!!
My only reservation is whether I will find a need to use it after I've learned.

·
Registered
609 Posts
eileenk said:
Is it hard to learn to crochet?
Not at all. Buy some yarn, a crochet hook and find a youtube video you like. Just takes a little practice, like anything else:)
Crocheting is faster than knitting and fixing mistakes is easier. However, I think knitting has more variety in stitches. I do both but my first love is crochet. Hang in there and good luck. There are plenty of KPers to help you if you run into trouble :thumbup:

·
Registered
8,319 Posts
Cindy M said:

Cindy, I agree with your advice ... directing the newbie to those crochet lessons by Mikey. Wish I'd known about them when I first went back to crochet after many years. Now I use them as a reference when I forget something about a stitch or pattern. Morningstar in NJ, USA

·
Registered
23,691 Posts
I don't think its hard but I learned as a child.. I got a book and a hook with some varigated yarn for my son's girlfriend.. she wants to learn.. I showed her the single crochet stitch (sc).. and she knew how to chain.. and the book has patterns in it.. she told me she is making a scarf.. there are a few rules that you need to know but the basic movement of the stitches and the stitches themselves are fairly easy to learn... great videos and links listed here... I'm book marking it so I can share it too...

·
Registered
2,811 Posts
My Grandmother taught me to crochet when I was about 8 yrs old. Her thing was doilies. She showed me the basics. I taught myself the rest. I have made some amazing doilies over the years. (I'm now 54). And we didn't have the internet back then....lol.
Technically, I find crocheting much simpler than knitting. But I do love the way knitting looks. Fixing a mistake in crocheting is much easier than in knitting.
I think you'll enjoy it a great deal. Good Luck!

·
Registered
1,638 Posts
I love to crochet. I am learning to follow a knitting cardi pattern right now!
Ugh!!!!! Had to go to my LYS this morning for help. Thought I was doing it wrong, but found out everything so far was right. I just was not understanding the pattern directions. So keep at it. You will get it. I will do the same! Heaven help me!

·
Registered
150 Posts
From a former Lynner who doesn't miss it all, LOL.
You will find so many things to crochet once you open your mind to it. I go back and forth from knitting to crochet which seems to be by the season. Right now I am doing both.
Afghans, toys, hot plate mats and baby things come to mind as being great in crochet.
Have fun learning.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I learned to crochet long before youtube! My mom had the hooks and yarn, I think. I bought a how to book and started. I was 17! That was a long time ago! I also learned to knit and tat! Good luck and have fun!

·
Registered
5,688 Posts
eileenk said:
Is it hard to learn to crochet?
Learning to crochet is probably much easier than learning to knit, my opinion.

I learned to crochet with the book "Learn to Crochet in One Day." I found this book at Wal-Mart and goodness, in a couple of hours, I had the sc (single crochet) dc (double crochet) and hc (half double crochet) stitches down pat!

Nothing to it!

·
Registered
2,250 Posts
Janet.Sar said:
I haven't found a way of holding the yarn that is comfortable for me. I seem to have fewer stitches on each row every time and haven't figured out yet where I'm going wrong.
Ok lets see if I can help with these two issues the first one in my opinion the most comfortable way to hold the yarn is under the pinky, ring, and middle fingers then over the pointer controling tension by how tightly I squeeze the three fingers the yarn is underneath...and the second is actually really simple and the same mistake that every beginner makes - Unless the pattern otherwise states you need to crochet into the stitch directly at the base of your turning chain or you will lose one stitch per row...the other way of losing stitches is to not crochet into the top of the turning chain from the previous row this is less seldom the case but happens because the turning chain is pulled to tightly when you do the first stitch on the next row...if you are careful and pay close attention to making sure you get the sticthes at both ends of your row then you should no longer have the problem with losing stitches...Once you get it down then relax and let it flow because once you learn the pattern it will just come naturally...I hope this helps...

·
Registered
2,615 Posts
These are my favorites for teaching you how to crochet and they have crochet along video projects. Type their names in the search box at www.Youtube.com for a list of their project tutorials.

Hectanooga1, Yolandasotolopez, tjw1963, bethintx1, bobwilson123, mikeyssmail, meladora1.

·
Registered
3,408 Posts
Janet.Sar said:
I am attempting to learn at the moment from Youtube videos. I found the basics easy enough to pick up, but need to practice a lot more yet. I haven't found a way of holding the yarn that is comfortable for me. I seem to have fewer stitches on each row every time and haven't figured out yet where I'm going wrong.
I am confident that I will master it eventually - after all, I managed to learn to knit and that is on 2 pins - how hard can 1 pin be!!
My only reservation is whether I will find a need to use it after I've learned.
Yes, you will. There are many free patterns and many you can purchase online for anything that you can think of from toys to lace, and the thread or yarn you use tells you the size hook to try it in. You can find crochet to be very versatile! Sometimes it is better to crochet and sometimes it is better to knit. You can have fun playing with both and maybe mix and match!
Have fun!

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top Bottom