Knitting and Crochet Forum banner
1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello fellow knitters - always read this site, but not posted. I'm knitting Dee O'Keefe's Mayapple Shawl and WAS using lifelines, which by the way had never heard of before I joined this site. Stopped 'lifelining' about 5 pattern repeats back from where I am now, you know, feeling smug, yep got this pattern together, on a roll etc etc. Also broke my golden rule, and watched TV, while chatting to DH. Oh, oh, wrong count, will just tink back, hmmmm had to be on a s2kp row, messed it, tried to fudge, knitted a couple of rows. No good, not perfect, all I look at is this patched up mess, which by the way probably no one else will notice. BUT I WILL. So all those hours of knitting gone, will unpick back to that last lifeline.
Sorry rambling a bit - just wanted to alert any new knitters and knitters like me who are new to lifelines, to keep them up. Thank you to the person who came up with this idea, and thank fellow KP's for explaining it.
Now, pick up those blasted needles and GET ON WITH IT! :(

·
Registered
18,232 Posts
So sorry... and love your sense of humor and willingness to tell on yourself.... found myself nodding and grinning.
And I have done exactly the same thing.... knitting does help me build patience and humility....
So glad you posted this and look forward to seeing more.... especially your wonderful shawl when you get it done.....

·
Super Moderator
Name on Ravelry: JessicaJean, no hyphen, no space.
87,185 Posts
knit4ES said:
So sorry... and love your sense of humor and willingness to tell on yourself.... found myself nodding and grinning.
And I have done exactly the same thing.... knitting does help me build patience and humility....
So glad you posted this and look forward to seeing more.... especially your wonderful shawl when you get it done.....
Ditto! :sm24: :sm24: :sm24:

I must admit to never (yet) having used a lifeline. What I have done is learn to read my stitches, even when I have to rip out hours' worth of knitting.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
knit4ES said:
Thank you knit2ES and Jessica Jean, I have learn't so much since joining this site. You could be waiting awhile for that pic!

·
Registered
2,702 Posts
I agree with Jessica Jean. I never use lifelines, I count patterns. I think this is particularly useful on double sided patterns. I can't imagine trying to use a lifeline on a non repeating pattern and those are my favorites because they are constantly changing and engaging your mind.

·
Super Moderator
87,185 Posts
Viwstitcher said:
I agree with Jessica Jean. I never use lifelines, I count patterns. I think this is particularly useful on double sided patterns. I can't imagine trying to use a lifeline on a non repeating pattern and those are my favorites because they are constantly changing and engaging your mind.
And therein lies the problem. The complication of the pattern is already "engaging your mind", and you decide (or others around you decide for you) to also 'engage' in conversation and/or TV watching. It's usually the pattern that loses its share of your mind, but you continue on oblivious for more or fewer rows before it fully engages your mind again.

On the plus side, if you enjoyed knitting that particular yarn the first time, ripping and reknitting just gives you more enjoyment of knitting with it! :sm17:

·
Super Moderator
87,185 Posts
Jessica-Jean said:
And therein lies the problem. The complication of the pattern is already "engaging your mind", and you decide (or others around you decide for you) to also 'engage' in conversation and/or TV watching. It's usually the pattern that loses its share of your mind, but you continue on oblivious for more or fewer rows before it fully engages your mind again. Been there, done that and more times than I can remember.

On the plus side, if you enjoyed knitting that particular yarn the first time, ripping and reknitting just gives you more enjoyment of knitting with it! :sm17:

·
Registered
2,702 Posts
Therin may lie the issue, my favorite type of design to knit doesn't repeat except maybe on the opposing half of the design. I make a lot of shawls that start with a provisional cast on and there is no repeat within each side (example, India Stole by Sylvie Beez). I like the fact that there are no repeats and each pattern row is different. How would you handle that with a lifeline?

·
Registered
15,732 Posts
Jessica-Jean said:
Ditto! :sm24: :sm24: :sm24:

I must admit to never (yet) having used a lifeline. What I have done is learn to read my stitches, even when I have to rip out hours' worth of knitting.
Same here. The last plain knit or purl row is what I use as my frogging point. I've become pretty adept at reading & recovering my stitches whether I have to tink or frog.

·
Registered
6,179 Posts
Viwstitcher said:
Therin may lie the issue, my favorite type of design to knit doesn't repeat except maybe on the opposing half of the design. I make a lot of shawls that start with a provisional cast on and there is no repeat within each side (example, India Stole by Sylvie Beez). I like the fact that there are no repeats and each pattern row is different. How would you handle that with a lifeline?
Lifeline just marks and preserves a particular row, doesn't have to be a repeated series. All you need to know is which row you have 'lifelined' so if you have to rip back you can start again at the right place.

·
Registered
5,707 Posts
I have some really fine yarn that is on cones and since I have a lot of it, I use that for my life lines. Have to confess that I save them too and reuse them in another project if they are long enough. For me, whether there is pattern repeats, or not, if I am using a life line, I make a note on my pattern page what line number I put a life line it. That way I know where to pick up again if I have to frog. It seems at the time, that it is slowing me down to put them in, but there has been several times that I was glad I had taken the time to put one in.

·
Registered
883 Posts
TNS said:
Lifeline just marks and preserves a particular row, doesn't have to be a repeated series. All you need to know is which row you have 'lifelined' so if you have to rip back you can start again at the right place.
Exactly!

Tips #3 and #4 from this old post:
3) It may be easiest to use a different color of yarn for each lifeline.
4) Make a note of where you are placing a lifeline (such as: green - after row 3... red - after row 6... yellow - after row 9). Then if you need to unravel your work to a lifeline, you know which row of instructions to begin knitting with after mounting the stitches from your lifeline back on to your needle.

·
Registered
3,264 Posts
quatrefoilknits said:
Exactly!

4) Make a note of where you are placing a lifeline (such as: green - after row 3... red - after row 6... yellow - after row 9). Then if you need to unravel your work to a lifeline, you know which row of instructions to begin knitting with after mounting the stitches from your lifeline back on to your needle.
Thank you for this great tip. I plan to use 'lifelines' for first time in an upcoming project. This is great to know. About 20 rows, sewing together and collar to finish current project so I can start that project with lifelines.

·
Registered
3,098 Posts
I nevered used lifelines until I started knitting shawls, I use #10 crochet cotton for lifelines. I always put the lifeline in after a complete pattern repeat. This has saved me from pulling my hair out. I am very grateful for lifelines.

·
Registered
10,444 Posts
quatrefoilknits said:
Exactly!

Excellent tips! I posted similar woes to Shelleymaree a few months back when I found myself in the same situation and vowed never to knit again without a lifeline. However, I still find myself walking the tight rope without a net! I envy you who find them unnecessary, but despite "reading" my knitting, counting, etc. I still find myself making an occasional error and have a horrible time correcting when there are multple yo's, double yo's, m1r, m1l, etc. to rip out. Wished I had one of you very experienced knitters sitting next to me.

1 - 20 of 54 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top Bottom