Knitting and Crochet Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
21,448 Posts
https://www.herrschners.com/product/leather+thimble+accessory.do

I have a leather thimble for quilting, but think it would be clumsy when knitting. It depends also on whether it would interfere with your tensioning. There are several articles online about knitting with arthritis. Here is one:
http://www.everydayhealth.com/rheumatoid-arthritis/living-with/crafting-with-ra/

I think one of the more important suggestions is to knit with wood/bamboo needles and circular, especially if you are knitting anything with weight. And, take frequent breaks.

·
Registered
5,703 Posts
I have very bad arthritis in my hands. Bamboo circulars really are helpful, even when knitting small projects. They take the weight off hands and wrists! Before I start, I run my hands under hot water. When I take breaks, I use microwaveable moist heat for each hand. This has allowed me to continue knitting. Good luck! I hope this helps.

·
Registered
4,102 Posts
I have a leather thimble that I got exclusively for knitting (stiletto tips on size 1.5 ndls for socks). It did not work. It will not stay on while knitting. I have happily found a solution. These gel toe cosie tubes, cut to size, slip on finger when knitting. Example:
http://www.cosyfeet.com/gel-toe-tube#.V75uF5grLNM

·
Registered
667 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
i just ordered the toe tubes. thanks for the advice. Bad summer...arthritis, carpal tunnel in both hands and tennis elbow! I have never done so little knitting in my life! However just got acupuncture last night, and my pain is almost gone!!

·
Registered
3,740 Posts
I have used them for years when sewing. I have not tried to use them while knitting. They do soften as used, are more comfortable than metal, for me. Not sure how they will work for knitting, you must let us know.

·
Registered
4,720 Posts
When I got my first knitpick needles the points would push thru the skin on my finger from pushing the tip of the needle down as I pushed stitches up toward the tip to knit. I was a tight knitter then. I used a variety of thimbles and found the yellow/goldish with a small metal disc in the tip worked best for me. I have since loosened up a lot and seldom push holes in my finger now. I guess I learn things the hard way. There is also a soft white
leather thimble with elastic across it that works well. I also tried rubber finger tips for office work, needle went thru them. Sewing thimbles are too small. There are also some plastic sort of half finger thimbles. There is a plastic part that run the bottom of the finger tip and a ring piece that keeps it on. I think they come in leather as well. Tried them all and the little yellow/gold one is the most comfortable.

·
Premium Member
8,127 Posts
I had one until my dog ate it. Now I use one of those quilter's finger protectors. I don't know what they call this one, but it seems to work okay. Not as good as the leather thimble one did though. That one stayed on my middle finger and didn't budge until I took it off, and it was thick enough to keep the sharp points of my needles from sticking me. My fingertips get really sore without it. I miss it. Not for long though. I just bought a set of 2 leather thimbles from a seller on Etsy. One is for the thumb and one for the middle finger. They market them for felting and other needlework, but they look like they will work fine for my purposes.

·
Registered
2,169 Posts
i had a very nice leather thimble, until the back of the needle (the eye end) wore a hole in it...my needle just hit the very same spot on the thimble every time i used it....i am such a creature of habit! now i use the cheap pink plastic ones and they works very well!
Blessings

·
Registered
4,845 Posts
mary charnley said:
I received a copy of Hershners catalogue today. They advertised a leather thimble. Has anyone ever used one? I have mild arthritis in my pointer finger and thought it might help stabilize my finger while I knit
I used one when quilting; not sure how useful it would be with knitting.

·
Registered
2,388 Posts
i use a banjo pick upside down to protect my left middle finger from very small crochet hooks. for arthritis i use aspercreme, great stuff.

·
Registered
585 Posts
I've used one for sewing by hand. It had a slot at the end for if you have long fingernails the tip could stick out. However, the leather stretches after a bit of use and then doesn't want to stay on. I can't imagine how it would stabilize your finger for knitting, though. Have you tried one of those gloves (I forget what they're called but they're supposed to help your hand not get so tired).

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top Bottom