Knitting and Crochet Forum banner
  • Wondering how to use different site features? Please visit our FAQ. Still have questions? Post to our Community Help section for a speedy response.
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi. I am currently knitting several baby outfits and plan on trying to sell them, perhaps on E-Bay. I used patterns that I either found on-line (free), or from a knitting magazine. Does anyone know if this would be a copyright infringement??
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
12,306 Posts
Go up to "Search" at the top of the page here and type in Copyright. There are multiple topics on this very thing and you should find your answer there. Hope you have a great day and if your question is not answered from there, look the patterns over carefully, because somewhere there is details on the pattern copyright.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,801 Posts
First,I would at the pattern itself. 2nd would be to go the website of whomever wrote the pattern.

Skip all of the rhetoric on KP. Way too many conflicting viewpoints to really help.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
11,607 Posts
Ltitus1 said:
Hi. I am currently knitting several baby outfits and plan on trying to sell them, perhaps on E-Bay. I used patterns that I either found on-line (free), or from a knitting magazine. Does anyone know if this would be a copyright infringement??
Copyright laws differ from one country to another, from one state to another, from the originating country across borders. You can go to the source of the patterns -- the one who designed the pattern and get the direction from that person. Your best bet is to consult a copyright lawyer where you live. Zoe :D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
17,006 Posts
There may be something on the pattern itself or in the magazine, that will let you know. Here is what I write on all of my designs:

Please feel free to sell any completed items made from my designed patterns. I do ask that you do not copy, reproduce, sell and/or distribute the patterns in any form. These designs are copyrighted and protected by Federal Copyright Infringement Law.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,458 Posts
Yes, I agree that it should say on the pattern or, if not, go to the source.
Just the other day someone posted a link to a pattern that clearly stated it was not to be linked to other websites.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
830 Posts
A few years ago while reading knitting blogs I came across one from a well known pattern writer/designer.. She wrote that early in her pattern designing career she would get really bent out of shape when she came across items her designs being sold on sales sites but eventually she came to realize several things.. One: That other people were just as accomplished at knitting as she was and could knit her patterns as well as she could.. Two: That people were paying for her patterns and once bought they should be able to use it as they wanted (to sell or for gifts).. And Three: Even selling items they made from her patterns nobody was going to make a mint of money. I thought at the time it was very open-minded of her.

There's no way I would pay a lawyer to ask about a knitting pattern copywrite question.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9,955 Posts
No, copyright law does not keep you from buying a pattern and knitting something from the pattern and selling it.

There IS another law that does, and I haven't been able to find out much about it, but it involves "licensing" a design for reproduction and sale. You'd have to speak to a lawyer about that.

The smartest thing to do is ask the copyright holder about it. I had someone ask me about making garments and selling them from one of my patterns that she'd bought. I told her that it was OK with me if she wanted to sell finished goods. She also specified where she intended to sell them, and gave me an idea of the number of items she planned to sell at any one time.

If you don't want to pay a lawyer, ask the author.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,543 Posts
illusionsbydonna said:
A few years ago while reading knitting blogs I came across one from a well known pattern writer/designer.. She wrote that early in her pattern designing career she would get really bent out of shape when she came across items her designs being sold on sales sites but eventually she came to realize several things.. One: That other people were just as accomplished at knitting as she was and could knit her patterns as well as she could.. Two: That people were paying for her patterns and once bought they should be able to use it as they wanted (to sell or for gifts).. And Three: Even selling items they made from her patterns nobody was going to make a mint of money. I thought at the time it was very open-minded of her.

There's no way I would pay a lawyer to ask about a knitting pattern copywrite question.
This is a very sensible way to look at Copyrights.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
275 Posts
The problem with going directly to the designer is that some designers have no idea about actual copyright law.

The thing to remember is that the designer only holds copyright on the pattern.

S/he has no legal control over the items made from it, no matter how many times they try to worm it into their pattern text (with phrases like "by purchasing this you agree not to sell things you make from it.")
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
23,691 Posts
I agree that the topic in our search is so conflicting that its impossible to figure out anymore.. I love the idea of buying a pattern and using it for myself and still if I want to sell what I made I can.. I wish it was that way across the board but unfortunately not all designers feel this way.. I feel that if the pattern or the magazine/site that I get the pattern from doesn't say... then its free to use .. if it does say I will respect the effort to put it on the pattern/source and follow their particular wishes..
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
23,226 Posts
Ltitus1 said:
Hi. I am currently knitting several baby outfits and plan on trying to sell them, perhaps on E-Bay. I used patterns that I either found on-line (free), or from a knitting magazine. Does anyone know if this would be a copyright infringement??
If the patterns had a copyright ... Yes if would be an infringement.
Jane
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,011 Posts
Ltitus1 said:
Hi. I am currently knitting several baby outfits and plan on trying to sell them, perhaps on E-Bay. I used patterns that I either found on-line (free), or from a knitting magazine. Does anyone know if this would be a copyright infringement??
Without permission from the pattern designer you could find yourself in trouble. There are some patterns in the public domain, which would cause no problems. Craftseller magazine says all of their patterns are copyright free. The following website may be of help.

http://www.antiquepatternlibrary.org/html/warm/catalog.htm

All of the patterns they have are public domain, as far as I, and they, are aware, so you should be able to use them without worry. Many of the patterns are very old and not all easy to read but I have used some of them and didn't have too much difficulty. May take a bit of trial and error but once you have sorted a pattern you can use it again and again. The other alternative is to use a generic pattern, IE a crew neck sweater, and add your own stitch pattern etc to make it unique.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
11,607 Posts
Moondancermel said:
Without permission from the pattern designer you could find yourself in trouble. There are some patterns in the public domain, which would cause no problems. Craftseller magazine says all of their patterns are copyright free. The following website may be of help.

http://www.antiquepatternlibrary.org/html/warm/catalog.htm

All of the patterns they have are public domain, as far as I, and they, are aware, so you should be able to use them without worry. Many of the patterns are very old and not all easy to read but I have used some of them and didn't have too much difficulty. May take a bit of trial and error but once you have sorted a pattern you can use it again and again. The other alternative is to use a generic pattern, IE a crew neck sweater, and add your own stitch pattern etc to make it unique.
Like I had posted before, the copyright laws and what is allowed and not allowed differs between countries. As you are in a different country than she is, she could not go by the rules of your country. Sometimes the copyright laws do share common things between countries, but not always. As I am in Canada, my copyright laws likely don't apply to the ones she has in her part of the USA. Best to go to the designer of the pattern and/or a copyright lawyer. Most lawyers can and do give the first consultation free, in my experience here in Canada. But this may not be the case in every country/state/province. Zoe :D
 
1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top Bottom