Knitting and Crochet Forum banner
  • Wondering how to use different site features? Please visit our FAQ. Still have questions? Post to our Community Help section for a speedy response.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
13,790 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How do I lengthen the bottom of a seed stitch knit baby dress? The pattern is done bottom up so the seed stitch was the first part of the dress that I knit. Then it changed to stockinette stitch. Can I add on to the bottom or must I cut, unravel it, reknit it longer and then try the Kitchener join?

·
Registered
70 Posts
BEST WAY; open side seam at beginning of the stockinette st and unravel the stockinette stitches one by one. You can pick up the stitches on a needle as you go and then you can add length with another yarn or rip out the seed stitch and use the yarn with another one to add the length you require.

·
Registered
650 Posts
Can you crochet? If not go to Ravelry or another site that has knitted and crocheted EDGING....

I would love to see you use an edge that has points or shells. You won't have to lengthen what you already have... just add rows of edging

·
Registered
1,614 Posts
You could just pick up stitches on the edge and knit another fun pattern on the bottom, a ruffle works great, going down instead of up... I have done that and it looks quite nice.

·
Registered
13,790 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Anni329 said:
Can you crochet? If not go to Ravelry or another site that has knitted and crocheted EDGING....

I would love to see you use an edge that has points or shells. You won't have to lengthen what you already have... just add rows of edging
Yes, I can crochet. Could I get enough length adding a trim?

·
Registered
6,479 Posts
dvbegs said:
BEST WAY; open side seam at beginning of the stockinette st and unravel the stockinette stitches one by one. You can pick up the stitches on a needle as you go and then you can add length with another yarn or rip out the seed stitch and use the yarn with another one to add the length you require.
Wow! This is a solution I wouldn't have thought of and I think it's a perfect way to solve this problem! There are some real sparks of genius from KP knitters!!

:thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

·
Registered
13,790 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Homeshppr said:
dvbegs said:
Wow! This is a solution I wouldn't have thought of and I think it's a perfect way to solve this problem! There are some real sparks of genius from KP knitters!!

:thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:
Great idea!! But I knit it on circulars. I think I can still cjut just one stitch and unravel that way. Will there be a line from stitches going down instead of going up?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top Bottom