Knitting and Crochet Forum banner
1 - 20 of 97 Posts

· Registered
15,603 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
When to place a lifeline

Depending on what I am knitting I normally put a ll in at the end of each pattern repeat.
If a pattern row has been especially tricky I will put a ll in on the next row so as not to have to re-do that row if I have to frog.

· Registered
14,696 Posts
DO NOT USE DENTAL FLOSS!!!! Yes, I know I'm shouting, but somethings need to be. I also leave my markers in place and use another "set" on the next row.

· Registered
43,279 Posts
Very nice and clear, just need you here to poke me with a knitying needle to remind me to use a lifeline xxxxx :roll:

· Registered
6,511 Posts
lifeline said:
how many lifelines

I tend to have two in at a time, I just simply remove the bottom one and use it again. To remove the ll gently pull from one end while holding stitches in place at the other end.
I leave more lifelines in. We often read about someone discovering a mistake way back in a project, so I just leave the lines in and add more. Embroidery floss is cheap, and I want those lifelines there "just in case."

· Registered
15,603 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
cindye6556 said:
DO NOT USE DENTAL FLOSS!!!! Yes, I know I'm shouting, but somethings need to be. I also leave my markers in place and use another "set" on the next row.
Thanks I meant to say that about the dental floss, thanks for bringing it up.

When I get to the point in another project I will post some pictures about lifelines and stitches, but anyone can feel free to post if they wish.

· Registered
15,603 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
PurpleFi said:
Very nice and clear, just need you here to poke me with a knitying needle to remind me to use a lifeline xxxxx :roll:
Hehehe, it can be easy to forget to place a ll when so engrossed in a project.

· Registered
15,603 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Peggy Beryl said:
I leave more lifelines in. We often read about someone discovering a mistake way back in a project, so I just leave the lines in and add more. Embroidery floss is cheap, and I want those lifelines there "just in case."
That's a good idea if you are prepared to frog many rows. My first Ashton (also my first lace project) I kept all the lifelines in. Eventually DH asked if I seriously would frog back all that work for a mistake such a long way back. I decided as my stitch count was working and the pattern looked correct I probably wouldn't.

· Registered
14,696 Posts
I was knitting in doctor's office, and had 5 L.L. hanging and this lady told me I must not be much of a knitter if I needed all those "crutches." My answer was we all have our own comfort level. The real truth was I'd just been too lazy to
remove them....lol

· Registered
15,603 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
cindye6556 said:
I was knitting in doctor's office, and had 5 L.L. hanging and this lady told me I must not be much of a knitter if I needed all those "crutches." My answer was we all have our own comfort level. The real truth was I'd just been too lazy to
remove them....lol
:-D :thumbup: :-D :thumbup:

· Registered
41,678 Posts
Lifelines have saved my sanity especially with knitting lace projects. If there's a plain row (knit or purl) as the last for first row of a repeat of the lace pattern, that's where I place the lifeline rather than in the middle of a y/o row. This works especially well with 8 or so row lace patterns.

1 - 20 of 97 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top Bottom