Knitting and Crochet Forum banner
  • Wondering how to use different site features? Please visit our FAQ. Still have questions? Post to our Community Help section for a speedy response.
1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
7,262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Lately I've had to force myself to limit how long I work on one project in a sitting, usually I make myself stop after 2 inches or two hours, whichever comes last. If I don't I can find myself knitting or crocheting for 10-15 hours, through the night, only stopping to use the bathroom. If I switch projects every couple of hours I don't have a problem stopping around midnight or 1am.
Just wondering if others have this problem.

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
That’s a lot of focus! Is it keeping you from getting too many other things done? Or causing pain from working too long?

·
Registered
20,923 Posts
Lately I've had to force myself to limit how long I work on one project in a sitting, usually I make myself stop after 2 inches or two hours, whichever comes last. If I don't I can find myself knitting or crocheting for 10-15 hours, through the night, only stopping to use the bathroom. If I switch projects every couple of hours I don't have a problem stopping around midnight or 1am.
Just wondering if others have this problem.
I have done "marathon" knitting and ended up paying dearly for it. At present I set an alarm to let me know itis time to get up and stretch, if not I'll keep on going. Even on road trips which can be up to 10/11 hours I have ended up with swollen knees etc., Both DH and I have learned the hard way that we need to get up and stretch.

·
Registered
56,204 Posts
It depends on what I'm working on. Some days I can knit on the same project 7-8 hours stopping for potty breaks and meals. Other days I need to switch off projects as I work through the day. DH is in his end days and only wants to watch TV all day with me around so I have lots of crafting time.

·
Registered
413 Posts
I have done "marathon" knitting and ended up paying dearly for it. At present I set an alarm to let me know itis time to get up and stretch, if not I'll keep on going. Even on road trips which can be up to 10/11 hours I have ended up with swollen knees etc., Both DH and I have learned the hard way that we need to get up and stretch.
Completely agree. So important to get up an stretch when doing a lot of sitting for any length of time, be it knitting, crafting, computer work, drawing, reading...whatever!

·
Registered
7,262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
That’s a lot of focus! Is it keeping you from getting too many other things done? Or causing pain from working too long?
No pain, ever, so I guess I'm lucky about that. What else would need to be done? LOL. It's more that if I allow myself to work on only one thing I won't put it down until it's finished. That's fine if it's a hat, slippers, even socks but I also work on larger items. One of the shawls I'm testing has 9 different charts, one of them is so wide that it had to be split in half to fit on a landscaped page -each repeat is 103 stitches wide. With that piece I can probably stop easier (I just started yesterday) but one of the others is a dress for my great granddaughter that has a mind numbing 19" of stockinette. That's one I would just knit all night on. I started it yesterday as well and had to force myself to stop after 4".
I think I have a terminal case of One More Row Syndrome.

·
Registered
7,262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Completely agree. So important to get up an stretch when doing a lot of sitting for any length of time, be it knitting, crafting, computer work, drawing, reading...whatever!
I knit sitting in bed and I vary my position, crossed legged or legs out with knee supported. Sometimes I half recline. I do stretch my legs, shake my hands, rotate my neck and shoulders as I knit.

·
Registered
20,211 Posts
I guess there may be many like me who knit some, read some, rest some, work some. The only time I must keep working is when I make a mistake. I just can't rest until it is fixed or frogged and neatly rewound for the next time. I'm working on a C2C striped blanket for a mother to be and it is so boring as it is all garter stitch. As it will be at least 30 x 40, I should be brain dead by then. (I only work on one project at a time).

·
Premium Member
19,115 Posts
I guess there may be many like me who knit some, read some, rest some, work some. The only time I must keep working is when I make a mistake. I just can't rest until it is fixed or frogged and neatly rewound for the next time. I'm working on a C2C striped blanket for a mother to be and it is so boring as it is all garter stitch. As it will be at least 30 x 40, I should be brain dead by then. (I only work on one project at a time).
I love doing C2C at first but get bored when it is getting to about 3/4 done. But I would rather do anything in garter stitch than all stockinette unless there is an interesting pattern in it. I have started only doing one project at a time now too as there isn't a lot of room to keep several projects on the go without the place really looking messy. I also have to keep going if there is a problem that needs to be fixed, but at other times I have no difficulty in putting it down and going on line, or reading. When we were packing I would work for a bit, rest a bit and it all got done. Had I tried to do nothing but sort and pack without a break I'm sure I would have collapsed completely.

·
Premium Member
81,281 Posts
Revive your brain!! Look at some of my oversized c2c solid garter stitch blankets:

1999:

2009: Ravelry: JessicaJean's Jamal's latest blanket

2010: Ravelry: JessicaJean's Fluffy Pink Blankie

It’s still a great stashbuster, but I don’t think I have another knitted one in me!😈

1 - 20 of 50 Posts
Top Bottom