Knitting and Crochet Forum banner
21 - 40 of 62 Posts

· Registered
3,061 Posts
Claire, you should switch to two circulars for knitting in the round. No strain. You could use the same length circulars you have now or go a little longer, just add a second one. That is some scarf, a very clever idea and the possibilities are endless. Thanks for showing it to us.

· Registered
3,061 Posts
Two circulars are easy peasy and they take the strain off of your hands. I promise it will make your knitting life easier.
This is a sock knitting video for 2 circulars but it explains the process well:
There are other videos if you don't like this one, just Google '2 circular needles' and you'll bring them up.

· Registered
673 Posts
I'm not sure about the k2together, p2 together row. Without trying it, it seems like it would make sense to k2tog where there are knit stitches and p2tog where there are purl stitches. Will try it some time when I get caught up on some other things that are pressing in my house. Metallic yarn sounds like a good idea--maybe in a thin yarn with smaller needles. That might just be the jeweler in me talking. Colored wire is very hard to knit with because of its stiffness but would probably look good too.

· Registered
118 Posts
Do you have any yarn shops in Brenham, TX? The more I think about it the more I want to start this scarf just for the fun of it! I didn't know about 9" needles! Haven't seen any! We have Hobby Lobby, Michael's, and JoAnn's. Can I find them there?

· Registered
48 Posts
Absolutely adorable! I know exactly who I'll make this for. My piano teacher is a young funky Japanese woman who ALWAYS wears a scarf! She'll LOVE it. Picking the perfect yarn will be the most difficult decision.

· Registered
453 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
Ruth, the k2 together twice, then p2 together twice will come very easily as you do the pattern, for shaping purposes. You have to go from 56 to 28 stitches. It will make perfect sense when you do it.

I have no close Hobby Lobby, Michael's, etc. I buy a lot online, especially eBay. I got my 9" circulars on eBay for about $10 including shipping.

· Registered
286 Posts
Claire said:
I like FUNKY, and this fits into my funky state of mind! :)

Easy pattern, but the difficulty for me was working with #6 nine inch circular needles. My arthritic hands didn't like them! :)

There will be 18 rings - these are the first six, worsted weight.

Each ring measures 4" in diameter.
Thanks so much Claire for giving us the pattern. I love funky and I can just picture this in my two favorite colors - Purple and Turquoise!

· Registered
453 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
Ooohh, purple and turquoise! Lovely!

I just got a thought this morning. I am going to do the 11th ring, and stop for this item. I realize that one ring fits inside the hole of another ring, therefore clasping it. I put the 10 rings around my neck, and I love it. One more ring tonight (needs a tad more length), and I will take a pic, and post it here.

Keep in mind that these rings can be a bit floppy, so if you are thinking belt, then it needs to be of a yarn that isn't limp when it's finished. For a scarf that issue is less important.

Such fun!

· Registered
27,139 Posts
MaryE. said:
Two circulars are easy peasy and they take the strain off of your hands. I promise it will make your knitting life easier.
This is a sock knitting video for 2 circulars but it explains the process well:
There are other videos if you don't like this one, just Google '2 circular needles' and you'll bring them up.
I use two circulars exclusively for knitting in the round. It is like knitting half the stitches with one needle and the other half of the stitches with the other needle. I think you will love it once you try it.

· Registered
453 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
Thanks so much for the lovely response(s)!!

I find it hard to work with wool (allergies), but felting would make it wonderful for a belt, yes!

I don't remember where I found this pattern - I've had it for a while, and I was too much of a novice until recently to even attempt it.

It has a lot of mistakes in it, and I learned a lot! :)

· Registered
3,061 Posts
Claire, every project is a learning experience for me. I keep telling myself that as I sit there trying to decide how bad the mistake looks. Someone at our local yarn shop, someone else there getting help just as I was, said that "if you can't see your mistake from a galloping horse, don't worry about it." I'm such an anal person that I have a hard time ignoring mistakes, but I'm getting better. I haven't yet reached the galloping horse stage, but if I can't see it without my eyeglasses, it stays.

· Registered
453 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 ·
Mary, this forum has been such a huge help in so many ways, and particularly in perspective about mistakes.

Now I know for sure that I am not the only knitter to get disgusted and rip out the whole thing! And clearly, I make mistakes and I try to put that in perspective, too.

I can see the mistakes I have made with the rings, but somehow they don't bother me - the next one will be better.

· Registered
650 Posts
Mary & Claire, The mistakes are your signature. I always tell the one I give to that my signature is in the gift, find it. We have alot of fun finding the mistake and they feel it was done to personalize just for them. So.....there's good in everything.

· Registered
27,139 Posts
Great minds think alike. I was going to tink on a sweater for my granddaughter. She ask me not be because if she could find it when I was finished it would make it even more special. A store bought item will not have these special markings.

21 - 40 of 62 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top Bottom