Knitting and Crochet Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
I have used it for a throw/shawl. It comes in a lot of pretty colors and is very soft. But I have found that it doesn't hold up as well as I'd like, and it isn't pleasant to work with (pulls, knots). It seems to stretch and lose shape too. This may just be me, though--I know a lot of people love it.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I used it for a prayer shawl and I loved it. The varigated colors worked beautifully. I made up my own pattern - just five stitches of stockinette/five stitches of reverse stockinette across the row (I believe I repeated it for a total of 8 blocks across) for 10 rows, then swapped the stitches for 10 more rows, so it looked like squares. I didn't use the same yarn for fringe, tho, as it frayed too much. Instead I chose a solid color from a worsted weight that matched one of the varigation colors.

·
Registered
11,389 Posts
I don't use a lot of "department store" yarn as I find the quality isn't that great and the price per ounce is rather high given the fiber content. My advice..check out some websites for a better quality yarn at a lower price. (I've been knitting for over 40 years).

The price you pay for a "high synthetic" content yarn is generally not worth it. You can purchase yarns with more natural fiber content for less, they will produce better stitch definition, offer more "warmth" and in general are more "durable".

·
Registered
281 Posts
Hi,

I am knitting a shawl with Lionbrand Homespun. The pattern I am using is from Lionbrands website. Lionbrand.com.
They have many shawl patterns to choose from and several are made with Lionbrand Homespun.

RoseMarie64

·
Registered
267 Posts
Well, I like Homespun. I've made a couple of shawls and a hat with it that worked out real well. My family lives in Atlanta, none of them wear wool, and they all want easy care, so that's a bit limiting.

You're right, it won't fringe. Doing any kind of sewn bind off can be a problem. I've never had any problem with it shedding.

I wouldn't use if for a project that would get real wear, because I don't think it would hold up. Shawls and scarves, hats, afghans, those sorts of thing seem to work well.

·
Registered
76 Posts
I've used Lion Brand Homespun for lots and lots of scarves. The recipients of the scarves love them because the yarn is so soft and so warm. The Homespun scaarf I made for myself is extremely long so I can wrap it around four or five times. It's several years old now and I've had no problems with it. I've also knitted the diagonal stitch baby afgan many times and no one has reported a problem. It knits beautifully.

·
Registered
76 Posts
I've used Lion Brand Homespun for lots and lots of scarves. The recipients of the scarves love them because the yarn is so soft and so warm. The Homespun scaarf I made for myself is extremely long so I can wrap it around four or five times. It's several years old now and I've had no problems with it. I've also knitted the diagonal stitch baby afgan many times and no one has reported a problem. It knits beautifully.

·
Registered
11,389 Posts
The process to produce yarns with high synthetic content is not particularly "kind" to the environment. Additionally these yarns are not nearly as warm or durable as natural fibers...if you want to feel "soft"...try REAL alpaca, nothing beats it for softness.

·
Registered
11,771 Posts
I made the beautiful round afghan (Lion Brand pattern#90476)and it looked just like the picture, but 8 months later it is very shabby as though it were 10 yrs. old. It does get a lot of use, but I'm not sure I would make another afghan with it...too bad, because the color mixtures are great. I,also, had trouble with the knots, so I went to a larger hook. New to this site and love it! Learning a lot just from the input from all of you. Happy needling!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thank you all for your responses. I really appreciate the input about your personal experiences. I will probably just make some more scarves with what I have and not buy anymore. I'm not a fast knitter or crocheter so I would like what I do to last and not look inferior once I put all that time into an item.

Thanks
Pam

·
Registered
11,389 Posts
For the price you pay for these yarns there are much better alternatives. "Poly" anything is polite for "recycled pop bottles". Natural fibers such as wool or alpaca are no more costly and far outlast those "pop bottles". The natural warmth of these fibers will outdo anything man made. One of my most favorite fibers to work with is Bison (aka Buffalo). Though pricey the stuff is amazing...I mean think about it the animals live outside in all weather.

For what you pay for "poly" you can buy natural fibers that will far outlast the "junk". I do happen to like Cotton ease though...it's easy care and kid friendly..kids outgrow stuff quickly too!

·
Registered
179 Posts
I agree with you Courier, about the natural fibers being so much better to knit with and they last and are durable.
I have an experience to share. I knit a pair of mittens in a nice wool blend yarn. I ran short of yarn, out of town, on the last mitten.(like the last two inches)I don't do this often but I finished it with some poly blend yarn that was a really close color, and at least they were finished. That winter, while shoveling outside in our wonderful and cold winterland here in Michigan, I noticed one hand had finger tips warm and toasty and the other, frozen so cold. Guess which one was warm? Right, the wool one. Any natural fiber (wool, alpaca, cotton, etc)has warmth like no other fiber.

This may not make sense, but I will say that I made a pair of mittens for myself with Lion Brand Homespun yarn. They turned out great, were warm and I love the colors. I did have to downsize the pattern, and use less stitches, as it is very stretchy and I wanted the mittens to fit snug. They washed up great too. Go figure!
Happy knitting!

·
Registered
5,248 Posts
I've used Lion Brand Homespun to knit scarves, hats and baby blankets. It does fuzz over time with wear but I don't think the fuzz comes off on your clothes - at least that has not been my experience.

I find that acrylic yarns are good for some projects and natural (wool, cotton) for others. Since I mostly knit for children at this time, I use more acrylic that wool or cotton. Washes well and easy care for busy Moms. I would love to branch out to using cotton for my toddler sweater vests but cannot find the bright colors in it.

·
Registered
2,950 Posts
courier770 said:
I don't use a lot of "department store" yarn as I find the quality isn't that great and the price per ounce is rather high given the fiber content. My advice..check out some websites for a better quality yarn at a lower price. (I've been knitting for over 40 years).

The price you pay for a "high synthetic" content yarn is generally not worth it. You can purchase yarns with more natural fiber content for less, they will produce better stitch definition, offer more "warmth" and in general are more "durable".
Thank you for the tip!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top Bottom