Knitting and Crochet Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

· Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am very excited to be traveling in Scotland in early April. I would love to visit some local yarn shops. If you have recommendations (including name, address and hours), I would love to visit them! We will be in:

Edinburg
Glasgow
Mallaig
Isle of Skye
Inverness (and surrounding area)
Pitlochry (and surrounding area)

Thank you, in advance!
Kim

· Registered
3,023 Posts
I am very excited to be traveling in Scotland in early April. I would love to visit some local yarn shops. If you have recommendations (including name, address and hours), I would love to visit them! We will be in:

Edinburg
Glasgow
Mallaig
Isle of Skye

Thank you, in advance!
Kim
My only response is that I admit to being jealous lol! Enjoy your adventure!

· Registered
4,303 Posts

Edinburg
Glasgow
Mallaig
Isle of Skye

Thank you, in advance!
Kim
I have recently found this yarn shop online and the owner Lisa does have a studio at the following address:

For the Love of Yarn
Studio 12
30 Dornoch St
Glasgow G40 2QT

Whilst looking on the site to get you the address I did see a tab at the top of the page Visit Us and then you get a drop down calendar so it may be worth checking that out first in case the studio isn't open every day so you can book a day and time to visit.. Everything in the shop is dyed by Lisa. Enjoy your trip and yarn shopping.

· Premium Member
67 Posts

Edinburg
Glasgow
Mallaig
Isle of Skye

Thank you, in advance!
Kim
In every town is a tourist bureau or it was when I was there. Go in and they will give you discounts ob B&Bs. On the isle of Skype in an old church is a Silver Smith named Skye Silver if I remember correctly. Still get emails from them. I got some lovely scarf and cape pins. Just take time and walk through shops. I took my brother's advice. He told me to throw all my clothes and money on the bed when I went to pack. He said take and cut the amount of clothes in half and double your money and you'd have a great trip. I spent 23 days driving through Scotland and Ireland. Go to Caithness glass northwest of Edinbourough. I went to Berrick on Tweed and bought hand painted China pins for scarfs. Went to WATERFORD crystal Ireland. Bought a beautiful teal @weater knit with goose quills in county Cork, Ireland. Went to severalp] large tartan shops in Scotland and sent blankets in family tw÷d home to family. I still have some of the yarn they used to make my sweater and I have 2 lambswool capes left >n my hope chest from Scotland. I drove a Citrone in England and Scotland and this tiny. Car in Ireland. Many. Good memories.

· Registered
2,668 Posts
In every town is a tourist bureau or it was when I was there. Go in and they will give you discounts ob B&Bs. On the isle of Skype in an old church is a Silver Smith named Skye Silver if I remember correctly. Still get emails from them. I got some lovely scarf and cape pins. Just take time and walk through shops. I took my brother's advice. He told me to throw all my clothes and money on the bed when I went to pack. He said take and cut the amount of clothes in half and double your money and you'd have a great trip. I spent 23 days driving through Scotland and Ireland. Go to Caithness glass northwest of Edinbourough. I went to Berrick on Tweed and bought hand painted China pins for scarfs. Went to WATERFORD crystal Ireland. Bought a beautiful teal @weater knit with goose quills in county Cork, Ireland. Went to severalp] large tartan shops in Scotland and sent blankets in family tw÷d home to family. I still have some of the yarn they used to make my sweater and I have 2 lambswool capes left >n my hope chest from Scotland. I drove a Citrone in England and Scotland and this tiny. Car in Ireland. Many. Good memories.
Isle of Skype! Got to love autocorrect bloopers.

· Registered
8,345 Posts
I can’t help you from experience but you can go to Ravelry, click on the upper left “Yarn”.
Below on the left side will come up a heading “Local LYS”. Enter the city you’re going to visit and decide how far out from that place you would be willing to travel. It will come up with the LYS there with links to their website and the number of shoppers.
Click on them and they will give you a wealth of information.
I use this Ravelry feature when I travel and have found some wonderful LYS!
Good luck and enjoy your trip. Please post pictures of your yarn purchases!:)

· Registered
5,843 Posts

Edinburg
Glasgow
Mallaig
Isle of Skye

Thank you, in advance!
Kim
Enjoy your trip you do know of the stuff is imported not like it used to be.
I looked at a cashmere cardigan when I was there in nov it was so thin not good quality not labeled made in Scotland I could knit one cheaper so don’t expect bargains the exchange rate is not good. So much more to see if the LYS is not close by enjoy the scenery

· Registered
37 Posts

Edinburg
Glasgow
Mallaig
Isle of Skye

Thank you, in advance!
Kim
so jealous - have a wonderful time!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Top Bottom