Knitting and Crochet Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am knitting a newborn cardigan top down with long sleeves. I want to knit short sleeves. The pattern says to knit 30 rows then do 1 decrease row and 5 rows garter stitch and bind off. Would I just knit half the amount of rows for short sleeves? Any suggestions? Thanks!

·
Registered
18,232 Posts
I would find a pattern that looks like it has the sleeves the length you want in the same weight yarn.
You could look at it and see how many stitches around the sleeves are and how long it says to make them.

·
Registered
11,084 Posts
Jnitt5 said:
I am knitting a newborn cardigan top down with long sleeves. I want to knit short sleeves. The pattern says to knit 30 rows then do 1 decrease row and 5 rows garter stitch and bind off. Would I just knit half the amount of rows for short sleeves? Any suggestions? Thanks!
That's what I would do for a starting point. Then add your garter stitch border.

·
Registered
10,963 Posts
Sounds like there is no specific shaping to the sleeve, so yes, I'd just do half the rows then add the garter border. Not sure how many decreases in the decrease row - you may or may not want to do it - for the long sleeve, the decreases would be the wrist - for short sleeves, it will be at a wider part of the arm.

·
Registered
13,150 Posts
RoxyCatlady said:
Sounds like there is no specific shaping to the sleeve, so yes, I'd just do half the rows then add the garter border. Not sure how many decreases in the decrease row - you may or may not want to do it - for the long sleeve, the decreases would be the wrist - for short sleeves, it will be at a wider part of the arm.
I think RoxyCatlady is right. You wouldn't want the decreases since it will be stopping at the full part of the arm.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top Bottom