Knitting and Crochet Forum banner
  • Wondering how to use different site features? Please visit our FAQ. Still have questions? Post to our Community Help section for a speedy response.
1 - 20 of 81 Posts

·
Registered
2,072 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My neighbor just taught me something I did not know and was wondering if you peeps knew this.

she says when you go to cast on the long tail cast on to measure the tail that is needed to cast on you wrap the tail as many time as cast on stitches around the needle and add 5 inches. She says that the tail will be the correct length with enough left over to hide your tail properly. I have tried it and so far it works out without have a great big long tail.

·
Registered
12,099 Posts
ssho said:
I wish I had known this. Can't tell you how many time I cast on, undo and cast on again to get the tail length right! Thank you for sharing!
The one thing I always try to do is to use the working yarn as the yarn that wraps around the needle, not the tail. Your tail then is the yarn that is just under the needle and it uses a lot less.

·
Registered
27,083 Posts
BTW, if you have 100 stitches to cast on, wrap the wrap around the needle 20 times and multiply times 5 to get the correct length.

·
Registered
3,033 Posts
I had heard of that a while ago but gave up when I kept getting interrupted when trying to count 548 times round. somewhere on the internet there is a useful one that tells you the No. of inches of yarn for a certain number of stitches. Just lately I have been using the cable cast on which has worked out fine for the work I was doing. As the previous poster has said there is also the two tail cast on.

·
Registered
1,720 Posts
I usually knit on my stitches, I think it's called cable cast on, and I've heard so much about the longtail cast on here on KP that I decided to try it. Sometimes if my tail is too long when I'm done casting on, I'll just trim it THEN weave it in.
I think I still prefer the cable cast on though.

·
Registered
14,696 Posts
digiknit said:
Why would you favour long tail cast on before any other . Is there a particular reason? I am curious as I have never used it.
Some patterns specifically call for the long tail cast on, some for knitted, some for cable, and some for provisional. It all depends on the designer, and the look they are going for.

In my case if there is no particular method called for I tend to use the 2 strand/tail cast on as it's quick, and easy. Yes you have tails to weave in at the end, but for shawls I've found it also gives me another anchor point when ready to block.

1 - 20 of 81 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top Bottom