Knitting and Crochet Forum banner
  • Wondering how to use different site features? Please visit our FAQ. Still have questions? Post to our Community Help section for a speedy response.
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
19,983 Posts
You could pick a stitch pattern you like and just use it, making the scarf the desired width and length. You could find a pattern for lighter weight yarn and adjust the stitch count. What sort of pattern are you wanting? Something simple?

·
Registered
6,165 Posts
There are over 600 free crochet scarf patterns on Ravelry.com for bulky yarn. If you filter for hook size, there are still more than 100.

Gauge isn't critical for scarves, so you don't have to use the hook specified if you have one that's close.

https://www.ravelry.com/patterns/search#craft=crochet&weight=bulky&availability=free&pc=scarf&hooks=6.0mm&query=Scarf&sort=projects&view=captioned_thumbs

You can also adjust length by making it shorter and binding off when you get to the length you want.

·
Registered
1,429 Posts
As Chasing Rainbows mentioned there is lots of info on the web. Two ideas are arm span or height.
I’m 5’1”, and my scarves vary in length and width.
I also consider yarn and stitch pattern. Some of my scarves are decorative accessories and others are for warmth.

·
Registered
9,724 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
scumbugusa said:
I heard a scarf should be as long as the person is tall.

Does the recipient like long or short scarves.

You are asking questions with no real answers
I gave the height as a question and ok no one knows the answer. That is an answer in itself

·
Registered
9,724 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
GrannyJoJo said:
FreeKnitting website. FreeCrocheting website. Ravelry is not necessarily the only "go to" site.
Thank you. I don't like Ravelry even though I am a join. I found so many sites to go to with scads of free patterns.
:sm24: :sm24:

·
Registered
93,689 Posts
I often look through my stitch dictionaries for a pattern to use for a scarf or blanket etc, I love looking through my stash for a yarn to use I then do a swatch to test what the pattern will look like with my yarn I judge what needle size I think then adjust as needed....i then work out how wide I want and sort out how many pattern repeats I might need
Hope you can find a pattern that suits your yarn

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top Bottom