Knitting and Crochet Forum banner
  • If you're seeing this message, it is because you do not meet the requirements to start a new For Sale thread. Members need 20 posts and 30 days registered. If you do meet these numbers, it can take up to an hour for permissions to update.
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
651 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The pattern I am looking for is of a dinner plate style beret BUT it had flat finely folded pleats knitted out of the centre of the top part of the pattern. Yes i have google it, looked in Knitting Pattern Central, Lion Brand, Wooley Wormhead , Ravelry, Vintage knits etc- trust me - I have LOOKED ! If any one knows of a pattern for a tidy flat fold pleated beret PLEASE let me know .
I saw one for sale years ago for $65 and thought it a bit rich.. but cannot find a pattern to make one myself.. REALLY want to make one for my mum.
THANKS
Jo

·
Registered
124 Posts
nannaknits said:
The pattern I am looking for is of a dinner plate style beret BUT it had flat finely folded pleats knitted out of the centre of the top part of the pattern. Yes i have google it, looked in Knitting Pattern Central, Lion Brand, Wooley Wormhead , Ravelry, Vintage knits etc- trust me - I have LOOKED ! If any one knows of a pattern for a tidy flat fold pleated beret PLEASE let me know .
I saw one for sale years ago for $65 and thought it a bit rich.. but cannot find a pattern to make one myself.. REALLY want to make one for my mum.
THANKS
Jo
Is this like the one you're looking for?
http://www.etsy.com/listing/67937569/treasure-cashmere-beret-in-red?ref=cat3_gallery_31

·
Registered
651 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks but NO- it was not soft folds- it was REAL true little tidy flat pleats...no cable.. no other pattern.. just pleats that sat flat on the top.. i have kicked myself a hundred times for not buying the one i saw
Thank you for your help- much appreciated.

·
Registered
651 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
i am AMAZED at all your kindness and thoughtful searches to help me find this pleated beret .. None of these are it- it has flat pleats that fold toward each other .. just like a kilt or skirt would have to lay flat.. it was definitley knit out from the centre with increases and the pleats were folded flat and grew larger towards the brim fold of the beret before it decreased down to the rib band.

·
Registered
651 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
well you know i REALLY hate patterns and dont even write them as i knit up something-my originals are one of a kind.. never teh same thing twice ! but this beret was SO nice.. so clever that I think it may well be the FIRST ever written Nanna Knits pattern ever.. BUT i do have an XXL aran jumper to do first.. so stay tuned ! LOL

·
Registered
651 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
oh oh oh- so funny i saw that CLOCHE ON A BLOG AND WONDERED WHERE THE PATTERN CAME FROM !! so THANKS for that one- but no they are too soft folds. I DO have a lot of patterns to scan and send privately to requests on this forum so AFTER i do poop patrol in the paddock with my fur kids i SHALL sit down for knitting administration time-- send out all patterns asked for and FIND a pic of the knitted flat pleat folds i am talking about.. and hopefully someone will come across this pattern in their travels.. it is like a FLAT folded pleat. facing inwards towards each other just like a v fold on a pleated kilt waistline, looking like a pie chart with triangle sections .

Attachments

·
Registered
16,345 Posts
Oh, and one more (yeah, I am just full of questions this morning!): was the yarn fine or larger (about what weight)? I'm thinking it will have to be fairly fine to keep the pleats from bunching up when they're gathered in the center...can't say why, but I seem to have caught a wild hair about this one and really want to see if I can do it! ;)

·
Registered
651 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Sorry I missed this post Sorlenna.. I apologise.. not sure when you wrote to me(oops- i see you write back in April..) but I was just wondering if anyone had anything new to add to my beret predicament.. I really do think I will sit down and design it myself soon when I have some spare time.
the ply wasnt fine- average- like an 8 ply.. ( double knit ?) and I am guessing the beret starts at the top centre- working its way out - so the pleats on the top increase into the triangle shape and the under stitches that make the underneath fold of the pleat say the same.. and then there's working out how to knit the actual FOLD of the beret as it turns under and goes into the ribbed band too- I wouldnt want that bulky- so somehow a flat mock pleat fold that is smooth.. time to get some paper out and origami it first to work out the planes I need to design..
THANKS ever so much for your interest.. JO
Sorlenna said:
Oh, and one more (yeah, I am just full of questions this morning!): was the yarn fine or larger (about what weight)? I'm thinking it will have to be fairly fine to keep the pleats from bunching up when they're gathered in the center...can't say why, but I seem to have caught a wild hair about this one and really want to see if I can do it! ;)

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top Bottom