Knitting and Crochet Forum banner
  • Wondering how to use different site features? Please visit our FAQ. Still have questions? Post to our Community Help section for a speedy response.
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
979 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A month or so ago, someone posted a picture of a verigated baby blanket which was knitted in a checkerboard pattern. It looked as though the squares were about 3" or 4" squares. I thought I saved it, but alas! I can't find it on my computer. Does anyone have the pattern? How many stitches, and how many rows? And, is there a border?

Thanks!

·
Registered
18 Posts
Seems to me that there was one like that that was put out by Jo Ann's. Think I found it under freepatterns.com. Never did make it since I don't usually knit blankets. Less of a hassle to crochet them instead. You not working with 200 or 300 stitches on one needles that way. Although, that one was made in squares and then seamed together.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I've seen it on the Lion brand website in both knit and crochet instructions. In fact I think that I have printed it off, having just finished a Moss stitch striped afghan for a friend's daughter's new baby. I just love their website I have made many beautiful items using their free patterns. Good luck on your pattern hunting and happy knitting.

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
If you find a pattern that is similar to what you want, use it as a base for making it how you want. Start with the finished size and yarn required. Decide how you want your pattern: how many blocks, how large, etc. Adjust the number of stitches to accomodate you. Adjust the number of rows, as well. When you are finished, you not only made a beautiful gift for someone, you designed it.

·
Registered
522 Posts
t meditation

Make an original sampler blanket.

Look at all the fancy patterns you have made, and knit them all into squares of 3 or 4 inches, in appropriate yarn - as long as the size is the same.

No one else will have a duplicate.

Grosvenor

·
Registered
37 Posts
I make an basket weave afghan that is what I think you want. I make cast on 80 stitches and this makes 10 blocks. I knit 8 pearl 8 for 8 rows. The next row I reverse the process. I always end this with the same rows that I begin with. In other words I end my basket weave with the same as I began.

I forgot to mention that I use 3 strands of yarn when I make these afghans and a number 19 circular needle. It makes a really nice afghan for a baby afghan or make it larger for an adult.

This is one of my favorite patterns. By the way this is my own pattern that I made from seeing a variation of it. Hope you have fun.

·
Registered
61 Posts
I did a baby blanket like the one mentioned above in basketweave. I started it with seed stitch and had the first few rows and last few rows with seed stitch as well so that there would be a border. It looks really nice with the 3 different stitches used and it is easy too.

·
Registered
149 Posts
joannem602 said:
I just Googled Debbie Macomber, then clicked on "free patterns". Who knew? Cool.
No kidding, I will try that. Does anyone else think its odd that an attractive single man always pops up in her novels, taking knitting classes and romancing the heroine?

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
Janey said:
joannem602 said:
I just Googled Debbie Macomber, then clicked on "free patterns". Who knew? Cool.
No kidding, I will try that. Does anyone else think its odd that an attractive single man always pops up in her novels, taking knitting classes and romancing the heroine?
Not familiar with her work. Don't think I will check her out, though. The last thing I need is another false lead for finding a man! Lol

·
Registered
270 Posts
I have a pattern for a checkered baby aftghan which is crocheted.Actually I bet it could be knitted if the squares were the same size.I made two of these.One in twoshades of blue and white with a lacy ruffle around whole aftghan.Theother one was two shades of pink and white They came out adorable.Of course I just realized that was 20 yrs. ago.lol.I still have the pattern.I made the cable sampler scarf in one of Debbie Macomber's novels.It came out nice.I was looking in one of her books at Michaels today and saw an adorable baby hat and mittens aran style,but the book was $12 and that was the only thing I was interested in so I didn't get it.

·
Registered
258 Posts
I made this baby blanket using leftover yarn from another project. Functional and reversible.

It's seed stitch for 6 rows.
Each side has seed stitch for 4 stitches, then knit 10 - purl 10 for 12 rows
After 12 rows you purl the knit stitches and knit the purls for the next 12 rows
Finish it off with the seed stitch border for 6 rows and it's done.

Attachments

·
Registered
5 Posts
it has a border size9 knitting needles
co 128 sts.
4 skeins of caron perfect match yarn
body pattern
rowl-k9 p9 six times
repeat row 1 13 times 14 times total
row15- p9 k9 6 times
repeat row 15 13 times more 14 times total
31 inches wide by 39 inches long

Border pattern
row1 k2p2
row2 knit the knit sts. purl the purl sts.
row3- p2k2 repeat to end of row
row4- knit the knit sts. purl the purl sts.
Border is 14 rows dee[ on either end and 10 sts. wide
on either side.
Body is 8 repeats long 224 rows and 6 repeats wide
108 sts.

hope this helps you

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top Bottom