Knitting and Crochet Forum banner
  • Wondering how to use different site features? Please visit our FAQ. Still have questions? Post to our Community Help section for a speedy response.
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My church knitting group is looking for a new project for this year. We are part of a Prayer Shawl Ministry and last year we made scarfs and caps for the homeless but are unable to come up with a new project. We would appreciate any suggestions. Thanks in advance for all your halp.

·
Registered
7,116 Posts
(((((((( Someone posed this question awhile back and perhaps they mentioned making practical items like:

Fingerless mitts
Cloths
Socks
Baby items, etc.
.........lap 'ghans; Each knit/crochet a square/rectangle and join........
Neck gators

Hope this helps~
~~~~~~
Meme Kathy said:
My church knitting group is looking for a new project for this year. We are part of a Prayer Shawl Ministry and last year we made scarfs and caps for the homeless but are unable to come up with a new project. We would appreciate any suggestions. Thanks in advance for all your halp.

·
Registered
9,462 Posts
Our knitting group makes hats, scarves and gloves that we take to a lower income school in town. They are kept in a box at the entrance to the school for the kids to help themselves to them. It is know as the box of warm things for those who "forgot" theirs at home. Many organizations in our area give coats to these kids, but seem to forget the hats, scarves and gloves. It is always great to go to the school and see so many of our items being worn on the playground.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I recall seeing a craft e-site that was trying to get people to knit wool squares to send to Africa for the "street" children who are orphaned children because of AIDS. Could not find site just now, But knitandcrochetnow.com has a place called Charity which lists w/ short comment about each particular charity that the site knows about.

·
Registered
61 Posts
contact your local hospital, they are always looking for quilts to cover the elderly pt in in chairs, or in their beds. I know the hospital I work for never has enough, and for a very sick chemo pt it is greatfully welcomed.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Crochet plastic bags into sleeping mats for the homeless has been very popular around my area. They are also used in third world countries because bugs will not invade the plastic. Using your old plastic bags for something worthwhile is very rewarding. If you google crochet plastic bags for homeless you will find several web sites. We cut the bags into 1 inch strips after cutting off the handles and seamed bottom. If you have any questions my email is [email protected]

·
Registered
348 Posts
our church has been making 3" square pocket prayer shawls. these can be any pattern, just a small knit or crocheted square or rectangle, with fringe. we give them to all our visitors in a visitor's packet with info about our church. we have also talked about 'blessing blankies', small baby afghans for our new babies. right now we can't create prayer shawls and pocket prayer shawls fast enough, but if we could take on a new project that is what we would like to do! happy, blessed stitching!

·
Registered
1,283 Posts
Meme Kathy said:
A couple of not often thought of suggestions:
Helmet Liners for our soldiers
Blankets for Animals in Shelters

·
Registered
826 Posts
I think suecheck1 had a great cause - crocheting plastic bags to make sleeping mats for the homeless in other countries. Our church, among many different things we do, feed the homeless in our city at a certain time and day of the month. We have been giving out a lot of jackets, gloves, etc. also. I am going to start making the mats - maybe that will help them rest better.

·
Registered
375 Posts
Meme Kathy said:
I just posted in the "baby hats" post about a preemie project that I am very supportive of. They are always in need.

http://www.knittingparadise.com/t-5185-1.html

I also think prayer shawls for the mothers is especially a great idea. As a mother of two critically born children (both made it through) I know that Mothers of critically ill children would very much love them.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top Bottom