Knitting and Crochet Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
490 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking to knit toddler hand warmers without thumbs or fingers. This is the one where I wish to add a long cord to hold the mitts. I anyone can offer me a free pattern I would appreciate it.

· Registered
5,403 Posts
Use either sport or knitting worsted yarn and a needle that is compatible for the yarn, no. 3 for sport or 5 or 6 for KW. Those would make a tight knit and warm mittens.
Cast on32 sts, K1 P1 ribbing for 1 1/2 inches, change to all knit until the mitten is the length you want or about 3 1/2 or 4 inches long, decrease K1 K2 together around, one row even and K2 together and take the stitches off on a length of yarn, pull tight and sew the ends away.
Crochet a cord, or make one with the I-cord method or twist one for the idiot cord.
To do the twist, decide how long you want it, make two pieces 3 times that length. Tie one end to a door knob or have someone hold it for you. You tie the other end to a pencil and wind it propeller style till it kinks, keeping it taut, put both ends of the cord together and the rest will twist together, smooth out, tie the loose ends together and attach one end to one mitten and the looped end to the other.
Baby mittens are made with finer yarn and no. 1 or 2 needles, try the 32 sts and either add or subtract stitches if 32 don't suit you.

· Registered
5,403 Posts
Yes, the first paragraph would be for a year and up and the baby yarn for infants. They like to scratch their faces by mistake and little mittens made with fine yarn work good for this. Some make newborn baby mittens out of crochet cotton or very fine yarn. Even babies get cold hands.
You can use less stitches than the 32 but don't cast on tight or you won't be able to get their hands inside.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top Bottom