Knitting and Crochet Forum banner
  • Wondering how to use different site features? Please visit our FAQ. Still have questions? Post to our Community Help section for a speedy response.
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
275 Posts
dshorty57 said:
...and the shawl thats always seen on this site is the Ashton Shawl- its a beauty try that one
dshorty57 is right! The Ashton Shawl is more challenging, but very accessible. Do not be put off by the fact that there is more than one chart you have to follow to complete it. For me, about the time I became bored with one chart pattern (you probably found that after awhile, the same is just the same!) it was time to begin a new one. Once you've finished Ashton, you'll be hooked on Dee O'Keefe's patterns! Never difficult, merely challenging!

·
Registered
21,297 Posts
I went to Ravelry and typed in Easy Shawls and it came up with a few that don't look to bad. Once you get the hang of a few row repeat, it goes quite fast.
I, like you, don't like charts, so I sit and write out each row on a 3X5 card. Remembering that row 2 and all even number rows are read from left to right and the odd rows are right to left, so as you finish row 1, slip the card to the back and knit row 2, etc. It takes a little effort at first to write them our but once that is done, the rest is a piece of cake.
http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/search?query=#photo=yes&craft=knitting&page=1&view=captioned_thumbs&query=Easy%20shawl%20pattern&language=en&availability=free&sort=created

·
Registered
275 Posts
Leprkon said:
I have the Ashton in my library on Raverly...I am really intimidated with charts!...any advice on working with charts?
Working with charts is like eating an elephant - you take one small bite at a time! Read through the entire pattern - once, twice, even three times. Dee's hints and instructions are excellent! Make sure you understand the chart symbols (learning them on the fly is a pain (experience speaking!)), learn about stitch markers and lifelines (Dee tends to not use stitch markers, but I find them helpful), and when you get frustrated (and you will), go for a walk. Ask lots of questions on this site when you need to. Finally, don't expect to finish in a week. Trust me when I say, you'll impress yourself, others and become totally hooked!

·
Registered
6,396 Posts
Leprkon said:
I just completed the easy peazy shawl by Meagan Delorme, which I found on Raverly. I would like to knit another shawl that is a little more of a challenge, while still being fairly simple...any suggestions?
You could try this rectangular scarf/shawl. It is a beginner lace pattern I designed...pattern below.

It is called Winter's Mirage.

Hope this helps,

Dragonflylace

Attachments

·
Registered
1,881 Posts
kammyv4 said:
I love this idea of writing on 3 x 5 cards, my only issue with charts was loosing my place in the middle of the chart, so this idea would solve that problem for me, thanks.
I use movable sticky notes after I've put the working copy of the pattern in a plastic sleeve. I have a friend who uses a colored marking pen and a ruler to mark through a row once she's completed it, with the working copy of the pattern inside the plastic sleeve. That way the working copy of the pattern stays intact and can be used again. I also put a small check mark in pencil at the end of each row that I've finished so that when I pick up any work that is in mid-row, I have an easier time starting up again. And I also circle the last stitch I made in pencil (when I stop in mid-row) so that I can go straight to where I left off. The pencil marks are easily erased.

·
Registered
1,881 Posts
marianna54 said:
Afternoon tea shawl is pretty easy. http://www.knitty.com/ISSUEss12/PATTtea.php
But I suggest a couple more repeats at the bottom.
I agree with the extra repeats at the bottom. What I noticed as I looked at the pix, is that I might have passed it by if I only saw the pic of the salmon-colored shawl, but when I saw the blue one (another ocean-looking project) I thought "wow, I'd really like to make that."

·
Registered
8,977 Posts
Leprkon said:
I have the Ashton in my library on Raverly...I am really intimidated with charts!...any advice on working with charts?
Ashton was the first time I used charts. I was about to write the pattern out when I thought, what the heck, at least try it. I did, and I went slowly, and I counted a lot, and I used lifelines, and I learned to read my knitting. Now I only use charts! I use my old cross stitch magnetic board and strips. I place the black strip under the line I'm working on. On that first Ashton, I covered the area of the chart I wasn't using. Just be patient, and by the time you finish the shawl, you will be sold. There is still a KAL available and lots of us have made Ashton and are available to help. Just post your questions on the KAL and someone will be around to help. Go for it!

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top Bottom