I am looking a popular shrug pattern for my 10 year old
daughter
She would wear size 10-12 and it has to be what all
other kids would crave to wear
any ideas?
thank you

· Registered
2,252 Posts
The easiest shrug pattern is a narrow rectangle worked by casting on the long edge, and then seamed for the "sleeves."

The sleeve can be anything from cap length to wrist length, depending on wearer's preference.

Since this is a "no-pattern" pattern, use any pattern stitch that suits the wearer and the yarn. The piece could even be a mix of patterns: ex Stockinette ground with a traveling cable band running sleeve to sleeve.

· Registered
1,881 Posts
I am making a shrug for myself at the moment. Mine is in chunky wool in a mosaic brown variegated yarn but have done it in Aran for my daughter.

For my size (large adult) I cast on 150 stitches on 8mm needles. I used 5.5 mm for the Arun. I knitted 5 inches in ribbing and then changed to stocking stitch. I will do this until it is long enough to fit me and then repeat the 5 inches of rib. Cast off. You then fold the rectangle in half with rib/cast off/cast on together and sew up the sides from the bottom for about 8 inches to get a comfortable sleeve opening.

You can use whatever stitch you want. Very adaptable.

Hope this helps. God Bless - Janet still sunny East Sussex UK

· Registered
1,589 Posts
TRINITYCRAFTSISTER said:
I am making a shrug for myself at the moment. Mine is in chunky wool in a mosaic brown variegated yarn but have done it in Aran for my daughter.

For my size (large adult) I cast on 150 stitches on 8mm needles. I used 5.5 mm for the Arun. I knitted 5 inches in ribbing and then changed to stocking stitch. I will do this until it is long enough to fit me and then repeat the 5 inches of rib. Cast off. You then fold the rectangle in half with rib/cast off/cast on together and sew up the sides from the bottom for about 8 inches to get a comfortable sleeve opening.

You can use whatever stitch you want. Very adaptable.

Hope this helps. God Bless - Janet still sunny East Sussex UK
Would it work with sport yarn?

· Registered
1,881 Posts
I think sport yarn is equivalent to 4 ply in UK. It would work in any wool but you will need to work out stitches to the inch and then check the length you want from shoulder to waist (or wherever) and convert to stitches on needle. So far as how long you knit it will depend on your body size. Needle size would be less or it would knit up too loose.

You could try two balls of yarn at once which would mean fewer stitches, larger needles etc.

Its all about experimenting with the wool you have rearly. It does take a fair amount of wool though. After the first few rows you will know if it is going work or not.

If you run out of wool half way through you can always convert it to a large bag!!

Regards - Janet - East Sussex UK

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top Bottom