Knitting and Crochet Forum banner
  • Wondering how to use different site features? Please visit our FAQ. Still have questions? Post to our Community Help section for a speedy response.
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
166 Posts
you could get this look by using any cabel pattern you like step it up by using large size needles 19s or 25s you would use multiple strands of yarn make a test swatch with 3 or 5 strands at a time the problem would be knowing how much yarn will be needed to complete your project

·
Registered
1,626 Posts
yarn collector said:
you could get this look by using any cabel pattern you like step it up by using large size needles 19s or 25s you would use multiple strands of yarn make a test swatch with 3 or 5 strands at a time the problem would be knowing how much yarn will be needed to complete your project
Your cushion looks lovely, did you make that?

·
Registered
20,182 Posts
Take a look at these links. The first is a pic of a knitted piece with cables. Second link is to Super Bulky 1-2.5 sts/in. yarn. I would think any cable pattern knitted with this yarn and with large needles would give you the look you want. Go for it!

The blue sky alpaca works at 2 sts = 1 on #15 needles. Be sure to look at reviews as some bulky yarn seems to shed badly.

http://www.conrantalkingshop.com/uk/files/2010/09/393584-NATURAL-LARGE-CABLE-KNIT-THROW-130X180.jpg

http://www.yarn.com/webs-knitting-crochet-yarns-weight-super-bulky/

·
Registered
514 Posts
Jmcret05 is correct. Then comes sticker shock. Start adding up the cost of knitting with multiple strands of yarn in order to achieve this look. It does NOT come cheap.
My nephew's wife pinned this exact blanket as one of the items she liked for Christmas. The cost was beyond what I would spend on their whole family of 4. It was closing in on $300.00.

·
Registered
2,616 Posts
Patons has a beautiful large cable blanket/rug in their new book that just came out. Not sure when it will or if it will hit the states. Go to acspinners for info I am not were I can get to the link at this time.

·
Registered
466 Posts
Rowena said:
Thank you ladies for your great help.I did find a crochet baby afghan pattern on sale today at HB and I think us a larger hook and get about the same affect as the one she wanted.
I have made this one and it is really a lot of fun, not hard at all and it turned out just beautiful. I have to remember to take pictures before sending off! lol

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top Bottom