Knitting and Crochet Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
12,262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My new project for Fall is to make a cabled sweater in a mossy green color that is a blend of wool (about 40%) mixed with 60% non-wool (most wools makes me itch). So, I am looking for a blend of a fuzzy Mohair-type yarn (or cashmere) that would work for such a project. Here's a picture of what I'm trying to make. And leads to yarn sources is greatly appreciated. Thanks.

*The yarn in this sweater is a Berroco Mohair Classic, but 78% Mohair and too high a percentage of Mohair for my sensitivity to wool.

Attachments

·
Registered
437 Posts
Wool content bothers me and DH with breathing as well as itching.

I can definitely cuddle up with non-wools like acryllics, cottons, linens, bamboos or mixtures. There are a lot of choices that can be knitted to the same tension as the pattern.

Knitting should be loving and fun at the same time. Time to do what works for you? All the best.

·
Registered
1,749 Posts
You can always wear a shirt or tee shirt under it to keep the yarn off your skin. Around your throat, neck, and chin is where you'll need to be extra careful. The skin there is much more sensitive. Maybe a pretty scarf there?

·
Registered
12,727 Posts
Beautiful sweater. Mohair is not wool.
MrsB said:
My new project for Fall is to make a cabled sweater in a mossy green color that is a blend of wool (about 40%) mixed with 60% non-wool (most wools makes me itch). So, I am looking for a blend of a fuzzy Mohair-type yarn (or cashmere) that would work for such a project. Here's a picture of what I'm trying to make. And leads to yarn sources is greatly appreciated. Thanks.

*The yarn in this sweater is a Berroco Mohair Classic, but 78% Mohair and too high a percentage of Mohair for my sensitivity to wool.

·
Registered
12,262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I did not know that Mohair wasn't wool. How did I not know that? The scratchiness of mohair absolutely plays havoc with my skin and I can't stand the creepy feeling. However, it looks so nice in a knit up item. *sigh*

·
Registered
12,262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The pattern is from Berroco Free Patterns and is called, "Donna". Skill level is Easy, using Berroco Mohair Classic yarn (color #B1136-a mossy green shade). The yarn is no longer carried at Berroco but is still sold in odd lots at various online sites.

·
Registered
7,297 Posts
Knitpicks has a new yarn called "Reverie Worsted" that is part acrylic and part alpaca. I find that my daughter, who cannot wear wool or mohair at all, has no trouble with alpaca. The Reverie has a lovely looking "halo" like mohair without the disadvantages. I did not check the colors to see if there is the moss green, but you can check their website at knitpicks.com, click on "yarn" and then on "new" I hope you find what you are looking for.

·
Registered
18,401 Posts
sockyarn said:
Beautiful sweater. Mohair is not wool.
MrsB said:

True, Mohair is not wool, it is goat hair. BUT if you are sensitive, the distintion matters little. Even Alpaca (another non-wool) bothers some.

There are many pretty options out there.

·
Registered
12,262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Reveriw Worsted is pretty close to what I've been searching for. They do not have the moss green color I like but there is a pretty sea blue color that borders on teal, one of my favorite colors :)

·
Registered
12,262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Thanks for the info. Unfortunately, since the gauge and such is never listed on ICE yarns, I have no way of knowing if their yarns would work for me. And still, I am attempting to find a moss green color. I do think that a low percentage of Mohair content, with some other blend (silk maybe) would work better for my project. But I am hopeful that I'll fin what will work, somehow.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top Bottom