Knitting and Crochet Forum banner
  • Wondering how to use different site features? Please visit our FAQ. Still have questions? Post to our Community Help section for a speedy response.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2,283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My son wants an icelandic sweater and of course I want it to last a long time and be warm. It's been a long time since I've worked with Lopi. I haven't even seen it in LYS to give it a feel, so I was wondering if it's still as scratchy as it used to be 25 years ago.
I know my son won't wear it if it's too "itchy".
The pattern calls for aran weight...18 sts. Can anyone tell me of another yarn/wool that makes a nice icelandic sweater that's not itchy? Thanks,
April

·
Registered
10,812 Posts
Lopi and Lett Lopi haven't changed to my knowledge - I wear them next to my skin. But I know that others can't/don't.

Any worsted weight yarn can be substituted, as long as you get the same gauge. Lett Lopi is rated at 18 sts over 4 inches, so any yarn with that on the ball band should work.

Also, for what it is worth, when I wash my Lopi sweaters, I use a (cheap) shampoo with conditioner. Every time I wash them, they get a little softer :)

·
Registered
654 Posts
apette said:
My son wants an icelandic sweater and of course I want it to last a long time and be warm. It's been a long time since I've worked with Lopi. I haven't even seen it in LYS to give it a feel, so I was wondering if it's still as scratchy as it used to be 25 years ago.
I know my son won't wear it if it's too "itchy".
The pattern calls for aran weight...18 sts. Can anyone tell me of another yarn/wool that makes a nice icelandic sweater that's not itchy? Thanks,
April
To make the yarn less itchy, my Icelandic friend suggests washing the finished sweater with regular hair conditioner to soften the fibres.

·
Registered
2,283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks everyone. I've washed itchy wool before with shampoo and conditioner, but it was for myself and itchy doesn't bother me. I'll check out some wools with alpaca in it. I find alpaca alone is much too limp, but perhaps a blend would work well.
April

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top Bottom