Knitting and Crochet Forum banner
  • Wondering how to use different site features? Please visit our FAQ. Still have questions? Post to our Community Help section for a speedy response.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
777 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I've lost the name of a knitting cast-on (not provisional) that is a medium-to-very stretchy cast-on. From memory, it uses two knitting needles and a crochet hook.

It's something about wrapping the yarn around the second needle as well, and using a crochet hook to pull the stitch-to-be-cast-on from the back of the two(?) loops wrapped around the two knitting needles. It's the wrapping around the two needles that gives it its stretch.

I thought it was the "Chinese waitress" cast-on, but that only uses one needle and one crochet hook.

I thought I had added it to Pinterest, or had added it to my "save for later" videos on YouTube. But I can't find it.

I also thought I might have added it as a note to the sweater I've used it for (only started on the front, had to stop for a couple of months due to ill-health, paper pattern and I didn't note the cast-on I used) :(

Three thoughts and no knowledge. :(

·
Registered
19,982 Posts
I don't recall a cast on using two needles and a crochet hook - for me it might be a set up for a mess - but it does sound intriguing. Your description reminded me of this Imitation I-cord Cast-on and Bind-off
If you wish to check it out the actual cast on begins around the 2 min. mark. I hope you find what you're looking for.

·
Registered
9,394 Posts
I use the crochet hook cast on, but it only uses one needle. Maybe you're thinking of long tail cast on over two needles??

·
Registered
777 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
GrumpyGramma said:
I don't recall a cast on using two needles and a crochet hook - for me it might be a set up for a mess - but it does sound intriguing. Your description reminded me of this Imitation I-cord Cast-on and Bind-off
If you wish to check it out the actual cast on begins around the 2 min. mark. I hope you find what you're looking for.
That looks like what I was thinking of, except I thought it was around two needles and then use the crochet hook to pass the correct bit through and put onto the needle holding the cast-on stitches. That's the only one I've seen where you have the three stitches on the hook and you're passing through two!

Thank you so much, I am going to add that video to my Pinterest so I don't lose it again!

As well as being stretchy, and not being some variant of a long-tail cast-on, it gives a very nice edge IMO.

·
Registered
9,953 Posts
That sounds like the Chinese waitress cast-on. This can be done with either two knitting needles, or a needle and a crochet hook.

·
Registered
19,982 Posts
Kiwi-pally said:
That looks like what I was thinking of, except I thought it was around two needles and then use the crochet hook to pass the correct bit through and put onto the needle holding the cast-on stitches. That's the only one I've seen where you have the three stitches on the hook and you're passing through two!

Thank you so much, I am going to add that video to my Pinterest so I don't lose it again!

As well as being stretchy, and not being some variant of a long-tail cast-on, it gives a very nice edge IMO.
You're welcome. I do like that cast on but don't often think to use it. I'm curious about the one you remember seeing. If you do find it please be sure to post about it. I'd love to see it. I think I'll use the imitation I cord cast on to restart a project I messed up and had to frog yesterday. I'm glad you asked so I thought about it. Now to see if I have a hook size suitable for fingering yarn on US 1.5 needles. I've never done it with fingering before.

·
Registered
9,953 Posts
GrumpyGramma said:
You're welcome. I do like that cast on but don't often think to use it. I'm curious about the one you remember seeing. If you do find it please be sure to post about it. I'd love to see it. I think I'll use the imitation I cord cast on to restart a project I messed up and had to frog yesterday. I'm glad you asked so I thought about it. Now to see if I have a hook size suitable for fingering yarn on US 1.5 needles. I've never done it with fingering before.
If you'd like something that looks like a very thin I-cord, you could try the Old Norweigan or Twisted German cast-on.

And, if you want a matching bind-off, try the Icelandic bind-off.

The cast-on is a long-tail cast on, and it works by wrapping the tail yarn around each stitch, which means that it uses up a lot more tail yarn than a conventional long-tail cast-on.

The bind-off also uses a lot more yarn.

Both are as stretchy as the fabric they're knit onto without flaring out.

·
Registered
19,982 Posts
IndigoSpinner said:
If you'd like something that looks like a very thin I-cord, you could try the Old Norweigan or Twisted German cast-on.

And, if you want a matching bind-off, try the Icelandic bind-off.

The cast-on is a long-tail cast on, and it works by wrapping the tail yarn around each stitch, which means that it uses up a lot more tail yarn than a conventional long-tail cast-on.

The bind-off also uses a lot more yarn.

Both are as stretchy as the fabric they're knit onto without flaring out.
Thanks. I do use that combination. Today I want to see if I can manage fingering yarn and a small hook. This is for a brioche star worked in the round from the outer edge. I just have to look at the video to get started. I think I'm stalling. :sm23: I've not been sick but Covid is doing nasty things in my small corner of the world and being able to focus tops the list.

In case anyone wants to know, this is the pattern. https://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/november-mood I know I'd be asking for a link.

·
Registered
6,724 Posts
GrumpyGramma said:
Thanks. I do use that combination. Today I want to see if I can manage fingering yarn and a small hook. This is for a brioche star worked in the round from the outer edge. I just have to look at the video to get started. I think I'm stalling. :sm23: I've not been sick but Covid is doing nasty things in my small corner of the world and being able to focus tops the list.

In case anyone wants to know, this is the pattern. https://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/november-mood I know I'd be asking for a link.
What a pretty pattern. I just might try to tackle this one too.

And - when you say "I've not been sick but Covid is doing nasty things in my small corner of the world and being able to focus tops the list", I hope it's not someone near & dear to you. In the regular sense, I think I know what you mean. An overriding sense of anxiety persists and that sends focus out the window.

????????????????????

·
Registered
19,982 Posts
targa416 said:
What a pretty pattern. I just might try to tackle this one too.

And - when you say "I've not been sick but Covid is doing nasty things in my small corner of the world and being able to focus tops the list", I hope it's not someone near & dear to you. In the regular sense, I know exactly what you mean. An overriding sense of anxiety persists and that sends focus out the window.

????????????????????
Thank you. I hope you and yours are all well. To the best of my knowledge all my nears and dears are fine. I trust they'll let me know if that changes. We give each other warnings - I'm sneezing my fool head off but think it's just allergies and it was, was my latest. It's just another day in paradise with Covid. I got the cast on done and now I have to decide whether to knit a row and join or knit the first round with decreases and join. I don't like doing decreases with the cast on row. Decisions, decisions. If you decide to do the pattern would you let me know if you use the alternative br4stdec? It's got me stymied and I'll be doing the one with a stitch holder to hold the center stitch. Sorry I'm such a Gloomy Gertrude today. I hope I'm not depressing anyone.

·
Registered
6,724 Posts
GrumpyGramma said:
Thank you. I hope you and yours are all well. To the best of my knowledge all my nears and dears are fine. I trust they'll let me know if that changes. We give each other warnings - I'm sneezing my fool head off but think it's just allergies and it was, was my latest. It's just another day in paradise with Covid. I got the cast on done and now I have to decide whether to knit a row and join or knit the first round with decreases and join. I don't like doing decreases with the cast on row. Decisions, decisions. If you decide to do the pattern would you let me know if you use the alternative br4stdec? It's got me stymied and I'll be doing the one with a stitch holder to hold the center stitch. Sorry I'm such a Gloomy Gertrude today. I hope I'm not depressing anyone.
Hey, before I decide on whether to knit this beautiful star (tomorrow's decision, LOL), I just want to say (and I know this topic isn't about COVID and I wouldn't want to hijack it), you're not a Gloomy Gertrude, and you're not depressing me at least. We all have good days and bad days, good hours and bad hours. It has been a very difficult 9 months for so many. Seeing news about a vaccine in both your country and mine is exciting. We just have to hang in there until we're sitting in the chair with our sleeve rolled up. The fact that you're worried about being gloomy tells me that you're probably a person who's doing the right thing. That means you have a conscience and that comes at an emotional cost with this virus.

·
Registered
93,689 Posts
I like using the crochet cast on and now use often, at first I had to watch a video it's good as you don't need to use a long tail and judge how much yarn to measure out I just leave a long enough tail to darn in later

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top Bottom