Knitting and Crochet Forum banner
  • Wondering how to use different site features? Please visit our FAQ. Still have questions? Post to our Community Help section for a speedy response.
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
42,304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looks like cross stitch and embroidery is becoming a craft which many are doing again.

I haven't seen much of it in a while and now seeing many posts of beautiful items many have made.

It is amazing how some crafts seem to die down and then all the sudden become popular again.

Think I parted with all of the many booklets and books I had since can't do it any longer.

Wondering if that is the same with stamping, was a big thing for a long time
but don't see as many of the beautiful creations as I have in the past.

Since I gave that up a while back, and now a frined has also, she was kind enought of give me this big box of all of our stamps and ink pads
some used several times and still many never used.

Wondering the best place to try to de-stash them, no room for another box of items that won't be used.

·
Registered
2,718 Posts
My mother who is 94 enjoys doing stamped embroidery. I think that she has embroidered every stamped pillow case set pattern ever sold. She is rather getting tired of them. She has also done quilt blocks. But it is difficult to find someone willing to turn them into a quilt.
My sister in law sent me a website that has a lot of embroidery patterns. The patterns are not inexpensive. But what you get when you pay for the pattern is just a downloadable pattern. You still need to find fabric and then somehow transfer the pattern onto the fabric. One woman said that she uses 12 different pens and pencils to transfer the patterns.
Sorry mom but I will not be ordering a downloadable pattern.
I agree with you embroidery does seem to be making a comeback.

·
Registered
7,251 Posts
I used to cross stitch almost constantly but finally stopped because I ran out of wall space. Seriously, I have almost 300 framed pieces on my walls, many of them 16x20 or larger. I still keep all my supplies ad I will make a gift from time to time.
I gave the majority of my stamping supplies to my daughter 20 years ago when she worked at a daycare. I kept a few special stamps s well as the ones with family names I had specially made. I only use them with scrapbooking (another craft I came to despise) since my father loves receiving new pages with the girls' pictures and fancy stamping/embossing.
Try your local library, many have children's craft time. Our library just moved it into the large movie room (for distancing) and the kids wear masks.

·
Registered
7,251 Posts
Jpacquin said:
My mother who is 94 enjoys doing stamped embroidery. I think that she has embroidered every stamped pillow case set pattern ever sold. She is rather getting tired of them. She has also done quilt blocks. But it is difficult to find someone willing to turn them into a quilt.
My sister in law sent me a website that has a lot of embroidery patterns. The patterns are not inexpensive. But what you get when you pay for the pattern is just a downloadable pattern. You still need to find fabric and then somehow transfer the pattern onto the fabric. One woman said that she uses 12 different pens and pencils to transfer the patterns.
Most photocopies can be ironed onto fabric once or twice - I did it when I taught fabric painting. Another easy way, if you don't want to use an iron on pencil/pen is chalk pencil it charcoal pencil. There are many free designs online.

·
Registered
786 Posts
Jpacquin said:
Just a suggestion on where to find someone to make a quilt...local churches. Sometimes there are quilters circles there or someone who can recommend a person who quilts. It's been a long time since I had someone quilt my squares for me but that is where I found the person.

·
Registered
6,793 Posts
I still like to embroider - especially everyday things: towels with little outlined designs, potholders. I used to do pillowcases but not so much now. One place to get paper pattern iron-on motifs is: www.colonialpatterns.com. They feature patterns and all kinds of 'blank' towels and accessories for embroidery.

·
Registered
2,043 Posts
I've done counted cross stitch and needlepoint for many years, but gave everything away as gifts. Currently, I make one Christmas stocking and one ornament every year for the grandkids, but I've also done small things like bookmarks. Never liked the stamped embroidery, but may start doing home items to give when one of the gks gets married or starts their own home.

·
Registered
3,321 Posts
My daughter, knitter, crocheter, just started embroidery and loves it. I tried to get her to look at my Stumpwork books but she says not yet

·
Registered
42,304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Murphie said:
I've done counted cross stitch and needlepoint for many years, but gave everything away as gifts. Currently, I make one Christmas stocking and one ornament every year for the grandkids, but I've also done small things like bookmarks. Never liked the stamped embroidery, but may start doing home items to give when one of the gks gets married or starts their own home.
I wasn't referring to stamps for embroidery

more for making cards and other items,

so many rubber stamps and some that are foam, with quite a number of innk pads with many never used and some used several times.

I didn't know if many poeple makes cards and other like items.

Guess I will chekc onlne for a place to post them to de-stash.

Most of these crafts I use to do will no longer be done.

·
Registered
2,718 Posts
m.r.b. said:
Just a suggestion on where to find someone to make a quilt...local churches. Sometimes there are quilters circles there or someone who can recommend a person who quilts. It's been a long time since I had someone quilt my squares for me but that is where I found the person.
Yes we tried that. But many near by churches quilting groups have disbanded.
There is a Catholic group of retired sisters where mother lives that has a quilt of the month raffle. I tried to suggest that at this point donating the quilt squares to this group might be the best option.
The sisters do not work on outside quilts due to lack of time.

·
Premium Member
29,459 Posts
Jpacquin said:
Yes we tried that. But many near by churches quilting groups have disbanded.
There is a Catholic group of retired sisters where mother lives that has a quilt of the month raffle. I tried to suggest that at this point donating the quilt squares to this group might be the best option.
The sisters do not work on outside quilts due to lack of time.
Our Ladies Club has done several for others, we just finished one for a raffle.

·
Registered
4,077 Posts
I have a pile of no longer used rubber stamps, I used to make Christmas cards until I had an accident with a hot air paint remover I was using on them to puff ink up.
After that I wasn’t allowed near it again and didn’t want to fork out for the real thing. Oops!

·
Registered
7,251 Posts
Cashmere-Cat said:
I have a pile of no longer used rubber stamps, I used to make Christmas cards until I had an accident with a hot air paint remover I was using on them to puff ink up.
After that I wasn't allowed near it again and didn't want to fork out for the real thing. Oops!
About half the time I don't feel like digging out my embossing gun and just using the "super shot" of steam from my iron since it's always handy.

·
Registered
2,741 Posts
Since I gave that up a while back, and now a friend has also, she was kind enought of give me this big box of all of our stamps and ink pads
some used several times and still many never used.

Wondering the best place to try to de-stash them, no room for another box of items that won't be used.[/quote]

You might want to list them on NextDoor, or Craig's List or something like that. I did that with my husband's books on model airplanes after he passed and several people contacted me wanting them. I gave them away as a group.
Or, if you have the time and inclination, sell them on Ebay. Or see if there is a retirement community near you, many of them have stamping clubs.

·
Registered
12,099 Posts
When I moved this last June I had my daughter sell a lot of stuff like counted cross stitch and card making supplies on the Facebook marketplace and some things I gave away to friends of my daughter. I have essential tremors in my hands so anything too fine I just can't do anymore and just lost the desire for others. Cleaned out a lot of scrap yarn to the craft depart at the grandchildren's schools.

·
Registered
461 Posts
Hi MomBr4: ON Facebook, you will find MANY "destashing" sites. and people are advertising at good prices. you may get some $$$ to spend at your leisure. good luck. just search for counted cross stitching destashing sites....have fun.

·
Registered
42,304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Maggie2012 said:
Hi MomBr4: ON Facebook, you will find MANY "destashing" sites. and people are advertising at good prices. you may get some $$$ to spend at your leisure. good luck. just search for counted cross stitching destashing sites....have fun.
Thanks for your reply to my post

What I was saying is I noticed a lot of people now doing cross stitch again, when for some time seemed like a crfat that many weren't doing nay longer.

I am looking for a place to de-stash all of the rubber/foam stamps and ink pads that were something a friend of mine and I use to do a lot of.
With my having the huge collections of all we had and many never used

I decided it is time to de-stash them, as I am with many of my knit, crochet stuff since I am not able to do much and will never use everything I have and now have a lot that were family members.

again I appreciate your comment.

·
Registered
556 Posts
I have been doing ribbon embroidery for a while and enjoy it a lot. But I've had to create my own designs, so I draw a picture of what I want and use that as a guide. Ribbons come in wonderful colors, and if you can't find the right color it is possible to dye your own. Use white silk ribbon and silk dye. Of all the needlework I have done--sewing, crochet, knit, embroidery--I like the results of the ribbon embroidery the best.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top Bottom