Knitting and Crochet Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
All the vest and jumpers I've knitted have a high neckline. I know there must be a way to start the neck lower and decrease appropriately up to the shoulder but I don't know how. In this pattern, after the armholes, it says to work a further 30 rows, then shape neck as follows:
K36, turn, continue decreasing 1 stitch at neck edge in foll alt rows until 31 stitches remain, then in foll 4th rows until 30 stitches remain. Work 1 row and then shoulder shaping.
I have always wished the neck shaping could start about 1.5inches, (3.5cm) lower. I noticed in a recent post that one or two of our ladies taught knitting and actually created patterns, so thought maybe they could help me? I would be absolutely thrilled if they could!!

·
Registered
19,648 Posts
I've had a look at your vest posting and do see your problem.

If you want to start the shaping 1.5" sooner, use your gauge to work out how many rows that will be, then deduct from the 30 rows from the armhole. Complete the shaping as written then add the number of rows you took off the 30 to the 1 row before the shoulder shaping.

You will need to add extra sts to each side of the front neck - two-thirds of the number of rows added before the shoulder shaping.

So say your gauge is 30 rows to 4": 1.5" = 11 rows approx., so you will knit 19 rows from the armhole, then start your shaping. You may want to adjust to either 18 or 20 rows so that you start on the right side - it won't make a whole lot of difference - just keep a note of what you decide so that you get your overall number of rows the same as the back.
Do your shaping as per the pattern and then knit 13 (if you did 18 rows) or 11 (if 20) to the shoulder shaping.

Then you will pick up an extra 8 sts on each side of the neck for the rib.

I hope this makes sense.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It's brilliant Hilary, and makes complete sense.... I have been waiting for a mathematician and experienced, keen-brained knitter to do what my brain said could be done but couldn't get around it! I had thoughts of just starting 10 rows earlier and adding them onto the end, so had a sort of idea, but just couldn't get there. I understand everything perfectly, and know what to do, except picking up the extra 8 stitches each side of the neck for the ribbing. Just a bit hazy there...I realise they must come from the change but not sure how. Could you just explain that a little? Many, many thanks. You don't know how much that has helped me!

·
Registered
19,648 Posts
Sure - you have added 10-12 rows to the size of your neck opening, so to get a snug neck rib you pick up about two thirds of the number of rows around the curve, so picking up another 8 sts on each side in addition to the number your pattern specifies should give you a nice flat lying rib.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks Hilary! I've wanted a neck like that for years, in fact for the last 7 years since I've been knitting vests and jumpers for the grandchildren. At last I have it. Will take a photo when it's finished and show you if it works out ok!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top Bottom