Knitting and Crochet Forum banner
  • Wondering how to use different site features? Please visit our FAQ. Still have questions? Post to our Community Help section for a speedy response.
1 - 20 of 232 Posts

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Had an issue with my LYS.Saw a completed item and asked the owner to order the book as it was sold out.Came for it, was told sorry sold out on it and it may be as much as a month before its back in stock.But, if I would buy the yarn for the project she'd copy me the pattern.Not trying to get something free here and felt a little held up. So I told her I'm not prepared to do that.Copyright issue, also what if I don't want to use your yarn?Told her a shawl was cute on the wall, her reply was,"Yeah, everything here is real cute."I was upset by this and DH was so angry.Sorry needed to vent a bit.

·
Registered
6,342 Posts
I hope you got the name of the pattern and book it was sold in. Perhaps you could order it online or through another LYS. Like someone else said, I wouldn't go to that LYS again!

·
Registered
11,991 Posts
The Book Depository: http://www.bookdepository.com/?redirected=true&gclid=CLS2u6yM1LgCFaPHtAodISUAvQ
They have pretty much every book that is available (not things that are long sold out and can only be found if someone sells their own copy, of course), they are have great custom service and once you have the book you can decide to make another item from it - or the one you liked - and get the yarn from any place you want.

·
Registered
11,991 Posts
lemonygodess said:
Sadly she wasn't about to give that info out.
Oh, I get it.
Well... There are more shawl patterns than LYSs. I wouldn't go to this one again.

·
Registered
275 Posts
I'm all for boycotting her store, frankly, but honestly, she needs to know you're doing it because of her lousy service or its just not going to matter to her. I would tell her flat out that withholding the title of a book/pattern she doesn't even carry is bad for business, and offering to copy something from her own copy of the book is illegal. If she wants knitters to buy in her store, she should encourage any and all knitting by offering the info regardless of the chance for a sale. What a stupid (w)itch. I'm sorry you were upset by her, Lemony.. and I wholeheartedly recommend Thebookdepository.com as well, they have free shipping and often lower prices than Amazon. Always check though. Is there another employee there who might be willing to tell you the name of the shawl, by chance? Worth a phone call to the shop later.

·
Registered
245 Posts
This is how my devious mind works. Lol..I would wait that month for it be reordered and come in, then I would go in just to see if the book did indeed come in, I would act like I intended to buy it, write down the name , act like I was browsing for yarn to use with the pattern then tell her I think I've changed my mind, and let her know that it is because of the way I was treated by you the last time I was in. You would then have the name of the book and could order it else where. It could very well be a book that is no longer being published and she is just trying to get you to buy yarn there.

·
Registered
4,404 Posts
I am sorry, but I disagree with you ladies. I believe this LYS was providing a service by agreeing to photocopy the pattern, albeit copyright, it was just one pattern out of the book and she may have wanted to help Lemon Godess to get some wool that would have looked lovely in that particular shawl.

I also say there are three sides to the story, your truth, their truth and in the middle the correct truth.

Sorry if I have upset anyone by disagreeing, but please don't shoot me down for having my own opinion.

·
Registered
537 Posts
Really like your idea !!! With todays economy and the competition of the internet and box stores,,,small business should be extra careful about good customer service !!!!
Keispa said:
This is how my devious mind works. Lol..I would wait that month for it be reordered and come in, then I would go in just to see if the book did indeed come in, I would act like I intended to buy it, write down the name , act like I was browsing for yarn to use with the pattern then tell her I think I've changed my mind, and let her know that it is because of the way I was treated by you the last time I was in. You would then have the name of the book and could order it else where. It could very well be a book that is no longer being published and she is just trying to get you to buy yarn there.

·
Registered
1,297 Posts
lemonygodess said:
Had an issue with my LYS.Saw a completed item and asked the owner to order the book as it was sold out.Came for it, was told sorry sold out on it and it may be as much as a month before its back in stock.But, if I would buy the yarn for the project she'd copy me the pattern.Not trying to get something free here and felt a little held up. So I told her I'm not prepared to do that.Copyright issue, also what if I don't want to use your yarn?Told her a shawl was cute on the wall, her reply was,"Yeah, everything here is real cute."I was upset by this and DH was so angry.Sorry needed to vent a bit.
Sounds like the owner was trying to" up sell " you. I'm sure that you can order or find the book that you wanted somewhere on line.

·
Registered
58 Posts
I own a yarn shop and feel I need to say something here, and many of you will probably not like my comments, but this is the way a shop owner would see it. First, did the customer order the book by putting a deposit on it, get a receipt and leave the shop a phone number to call when it came in? If not, there was no obligation to hold a copy...although, it would have been ideal to have gotten the info and called, sometimes we owners have memory issues or get too busy to follow through. I know I try my best to please all customers, but sometimes I just forget to leave myself a note about it. Second, a shop makes very little income on pattern sales...we carry them as a resource for our yarns, and rely on those yarn sales to keep us in business. A knitted sample for our shops takes hours and hours to complete and creativity for color choice and pattern interpretation. Lately, I have had customers with pen and paper come in, ask about names of patterns, yarns and construction advice, then write it all down and announce to me that they can get it cheaper on line. I struggle to remain open for many who use my shop as a viewing area for color and texture and then support online business. We all want to get a deal, but this is the ultimate in offensiveness...what will these people do when there is no one around to fix their mistakes and give them new inspiration. Sorry, but I think you all should try harder to support your LYS...it may cost you a little more, but you get free help and access to quality goods that you don't get with online shopping. How about one purchase out of every five from your LYS? BTW, thank you, mavisb for your support. You are right, you never know the other side of the story. I'll bet you all never consider the theft that befalls the LYS...I have had people steal shop models, yarn, books and patterns, even toilet paper from my bathroom. Please consider this the next time you get upset with your local store. Oh, and also, there is very little money in owning a yarn shop. I do it because I have been taken to the cleaners by my last husband and have a 32 yr old autistic son who lives with me and can't keep a job so I have to support the two of us with my income. We just barely make it, but I worry about our future.
So, forgive me if I disagree here, and please, all of you, put yourself in the LYS owner's shoes and see how you would feel about losing yarn sales to online companies or sharing your pattern sources with people who walk out with your ideas and buy elsewhere. One thing I will tell you that the other owner did that is NOT alright is to offer to copy anything from a book. Also, her snippy remark was uncalled for and I can only say that maybe she had been through a tough day when lemonygodess got there.

·
Registered
1,719 Posts
mavisb said:
I am sorry, but I disagree with you ladies. I believe this LYS was providing a service by agreeing to photocopy the pattern, albeit copyright, it was just one pattern out of the book and she may have wanted to help Lemon Godess to get some wool that would have looked lovely in that particular shawl.

I also say there are three sides to the story, your truth, their truth and in the middle the correct truth.

Sorry if I have upset anyone by disagreeing, but please don't shoot me down for having my own opinion.
Sorry but wrong is wrong and copying that pattern would be wrong. And to add to it by insisting the yarn be bought in her store well that just makes it even worse!

·
Registered
5,834 Posts
I don't have the luxury of a LYS, if I did I would try to buy everything I could from them, especially with this economy. I fear that as years pass so will all of the LYSs, just to hard to compete with the large chain stores and online stores. Maybe the owner of your store is feeling this pressure? Sometimes it might be best to take a deep breath.

My only yarn store is a Hobby Lobby, and most of the clerks there don't really even know anything about most of what they sell, no help to be found.

·
Registered
4,988 Posts
I frequent my two LYS. I find that their prices are in line with large stores, such as Michael's. They have more choice and are knowledgeable about their products. If I want something that is out of stock, I leave my name and phone number. I get a call with a request for a call back to let them know when I will be in to pick up my item after it arrives. I can order things they don't normally carry, not so with Michael's. Once you are known things get even better.

There is one LYS in town where I have heard from people who have never entered her store that she is not very nice. I know that to be definitely not the truth. She is very nice but takes a bit to get to know. Because I kept going in to her store we now have a relationship where we chat about other than knitting. She will try to get anything I want if it comes from one of her suppliers and usually within 2-3 days. Just don't ask for synthetics, that may cost you your head.

The owner should not have offered to copy the pattern, because it is against copyright, plain and simple. I would have mentioned this to the owner/employee, perhaps they weren't aware. Some stores have permission to give copies of patterns with the purchase of the yarn to complete the project and this may have been the case in this instance. Without knowing the entire story we cannot comment on the reasons for the offer and we cannot judge.

The Bible says "Let those who are without sin cast the first stone". I believe that not many stones would be thrown if we are honest with ourselves. Who among us can honestly say we have never passed on a copy of a pattern. Very few if any I would hazard to guess.

·
Registered
1,387 Posts
I'm sorry but I am missing something here. You can't blame the LYS owner for trying to sell her yarn to you. In order to make the sale she was willing to flout copyright laws and to help you do your project. Or do you think that you were being set up ie the pattern was probably available but she said that it wasn't in order to get you to buy the wool.

As for not telling the name of the shawl pattern that was strange, but perhaps she is struggling and selling you some wool , might have been her only sale of the day.

·
Registered
8,587 Posts
I am as big a bargain hunter as anyone and buy a lot on line. I do however also try to support my LYS. I may not be able to buy sweater quantity yarn but I do try to buy smaller purchases there. Also buy most of my supplies such as blocking wires, pins etc there. If I can buy it reasonably close to the same price local I do.

1 - 20 of 232 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top Bottom