Knitting and Crochet Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok...found a new-in-the-box Bond machine at a yard sale for $10 and love it. Still learning and have spent another $100 on accessories including a work table and small wheeled cabinet to store the tools and yarn. I love making and fixing things and have always loved knitted clothing but can't seem to hand knit with a consistant tension. I love this machine. I found another machine at another yard sale for $10! This one is a double bed Orion that was manufactured in the 1950's. Pristine condition, all the tools and accessories AND the manual! The woman who owned it had made garments for her family while she and her husband were missionaries in New Zealand. Her daughter was selling her mom's estate because the woman was entering a nursing home. I feel rather honored to have this machine. The down side is that I am having a terrible time getting anything to knit on it. It's quite complicated. With either machine I'm having a great time and making some great things. When I get brave enough I'll post some pics. Jules2358

·
Registered
5,402 Posts
jklon said:
I have a question on gloves hand knitted how do you keep holes inbetween the gloves from being to big? from jklon
When you pick up stitches tomake the fingers, pick up one extra between front and back stitches on each side then when you knit the first round, k2 tog at each spot so you have the right amount for the finger.

Carol J.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hi. I was looking on Ebay this a.m. and saw a Bond Bulky machine. It looks just like my new Bond but the carriage is a little different. Is this really a bulky machine? I'd like a bulky machine because I love the chunky yarns. I've run Homespun through my current Bond but have to run it on Every other Needle (eon).

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hi. My Bond is called the "Ultimate Sweater Machine". Are they the same thing? I found a huge amount of how to videos on You Tube. I'm starting a pinwheel baby blanket this afternoon. Can't wait. I finished a simple longer vest with Homespun yarn the other day but got an idea when looking at the pinwheel blanket video on how to add some trim on the vest. Maybe I'll be brave enough to post pics when they're both finished.

·
Registered
955 Posts
they are similar - i think the old bond uses lighter weight yarn - the reason I think this is because I used to use a lot of DK yarn in Britain on my machine which is 22 sts = 4" whereas here in USA I tend to prefer worster weights. 18 sts = 4" on keyplate 4.

Please do show off your work - we should all be proud of what we have achieved and it's nice to know what others think.

Gracie

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks very much. It seems there are more resources for machine knitters in the UK than here. I can't find a machine knitting club or anyone who even knows what I'm talking aboutl. Are there any companies still making the machines for home use besides Bond?

·
Registered
955 Posts
I have 4 bonds they are wonderful for what I want then for. I'm too old and too big to want to wear fancy apparel, I make St, st jackets and coats and trim them with hand knit lace - because lace takes much longer than St. st to do, the jackets, coats are classed as Hand-knits and are truly originals.

Gracie

If you need any help working out a pattern let me know.

Before you can get started you need a sketch of what you want and the measurements you need each piece to be.

And the most important thing of all a gauge swatch.

If not sure take measurements from something you love to wear.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Hi Jules. I also have a new Bond knitting machine but didn't get it for $10! You lucky dog. I also had trouble with even tension when I started. So I called the company on the number in the box, the "Knitting Help Line", 800 862-5348 I followed their instructions: Hold onto the yarn coming out of the the top of the top of the carriage til you feel it catch the first needle then hold lightly to slide across the needles. Go well past the last needle with the carriage, then gather up the yarn, go to the start of the needles, holding til sure it has caught, etc. This gives it a uniform stitch and a nice selvage. Hope this helps. If not, give them a call, you don't need to tell them you got a bargain!

·
Registered
1 Posts
I am Eula, a new member. I have a Bond Sweater Knitting Machine. I have made a couple of afhgans, pillows & scarves. Can anyone tell me where I might get more books or patterns. I have arthritis in my hands and can no longer knit with needles so I really am enjoying my knitting machine. Any help you can give me I will appreciate.

·
Registered
66 Posts
If you Google "knitting machine pattern" it brings up a number of sites. One is "bellaonline.com". I think even Bond (the maker of the Ultimate Knitting Machine, which I have just gotten) has them. Anyway, good place to start! Good luck with that arthritis. You have my sympathy!

·
Registered
58 Posts
Jules, I don't know anything about the Bonds, but your other machine may just be too old with no parts available. At the very least, it would need a good cleaning and oiling and a new retainer bar. This, at least in newer machines, is a bar that holds the needles in place and has a strip of foam in it that deteriates with age. It can be found by looking at either end of the machine under the needles and should slide out with a good push. If the foam is flat or non existant, there is your problem. There are ways to replace the foam yourself. If I can be of help just ask. Grandma

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks so much. I started the swirl baby blanket yesterday and had a terrible time. Every two rows you have to increase on the right. (you're forming a triangle). I couldn't get the new right stitch to form. Finally I figured out that weight was the issue. It needs evenly distributed weight and I started hanging my latch hook on the strand leading to the new stitch. Worked every time! This a great pattern I got off of You Tube by a gal from Austin, TX named Diana. She's posted a lot of great videos and is a great instructor.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
This old Orion machine is spotless. I did give it a bit of oil but did not check the sponge strip. Great tip thanks very much. I have figured out that this machine is a fine gauge machine. My idea of fine gauge and the machine's are quite different. I found some really pretty fine cone yarn at yet another yard sale and will try that when I get back from Texas next week.

·
Registered
58 Posts
The different size standards for Studio/Singer machines which I am most familiar with are 3.5mm-Fine needle, 4.5mm-Standard, 6.5 or 7.0mm semi bulky and 9mm-Bulky. These are the measurements between needles. The 2 larger sizes use knitting worsted weight, the 2 smaller sizes would take cone yarn available from dealers. You might get away with baby weight and afghan weight yarn. Good luck. Grandma

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top Bottom