Knitting and Crochet Forum banner
  • Wondering how to use different site features? Please visit our FAQ. Still have questions? Post to our Community Help section for a speedy response.
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
3,561 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently bought several skeins of Tosh DK at Webs. I was assured it was all the same "batch" since hand dyed yarns do not have dye lots.
Below is a picture of a baby blanket intended as a gift for my niece. It is easy to see where each of the 3 skeins started and ended, and the first band screams its difference. It was not possible to see the differences before it was knitted. I was an inch or two into the 2nd skein when I noticed what was happening, but decided not to frog...too much work completed and no guarantees re: the remaining skeins. Do you think this variance is acceptable? What about the finished product? Is it still the nice gift it was intended to be?

Attachments

·
Registered
430 Posts
I say give it. I'll tell you why, I did ABC crocheted blanket. I named it "The Blanket from Hell." I was at dollar store one day and got in a conversation about knitting and told my story. The lady that ran the store told me to give it anyway, it would be loved. Against better judgment I gave it to my Niece-in-law. She fell in love with it even hearing the story. She took and put away until the baby was older. My thoughts were yah right. Well when the second baby came I made another one that was all I wanted it to be. The older boy grabbed it and was dragging it across the floor and layed on the couch. She scooped it up and put away too. My sister-in-law told me that she truly put them away until the kids are older. Oh Well I've been wrong before. They appreciated my effort and trails because they felt that I had really wanted to make something myself to give the kids and it should be taken care of. BY ALL MEANS GIVE IT.

·
Registered
3,561 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
You are all so supportive and encouraging. Thank you! I am 99% sure that I will be giving it as intended. Has anyone else had this specific problem with this yarn?, ie, extreme variation with the batch?

·
Registered
285 Posts
LittleKid said:
I say give it. I'll tell you why, I did ABC crocheted blanket. I named it "The Blanket from Hell." I was at dollar store one day and got in a conversation about knitting and told my story. The lady that ran the store told me to give it anyway, it would be loved. Against better judgment I gave it to my Niece-in-law. She fell in love with it even hearing the story. She took and put away until the baby was older. My thoughts were yah right. Well when the second baby came I made another one that was all I wanted it to be. The older boy grabbed it and was dragging it across the floor and layed on the couch. She scooped it up and put away too. My sister-in-law told me that she truly put them away until the kids are older. Oh Well I've been wrong before. They appreciated my effort and trails because they felt that I had really wanted to make something myself to give the kids and it should be taken care of. BY ALL MEANS GIVE IT.
I always give it to the child and tell the mother I will make another when the gift is worn out. Too many moms (well meaning) want to preserve the precious handmade gift and will discover it when she cleans things out after he goes to college.

Make it for the child. Give it only to the child. Let it be loved and worn. Remember the velveteen rabbit story. He doesn't become real until a child loves him to death.

·
Registered
3,561 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Ok, thank you my friends, it is now official. I will give it to Melissa with an explanation, but no apology. It was made with love and she will not have a problem with that. This new great-niece is due to make her entrance into this world around Thanksgiving. All your support is greatly appreciated, and your perspective is both empowering and refreshing. I feel very lucky right now.

·
Registered
207 Posts
I have had the same problem of hand-dyed yarns not matching, and sometimes with bariegated yarn the colors "pool" in odd ways. One way to avoid this is to knit two rows from one skein and then two rows from a second skein all the way through the project. Alternating like this evens out the color differences.

·
Registered
1,802 Posts
It's beautiful. When I have run into this "problem", I sometimes take another color yarn and weave it through at the "un-match" join, and then do that again, sometimes two stripes, in the other color. That really looks intentional and creative.

·
Registered
2,967 Posts
I think your blanket is lovely and would be pleased to get such a lovely gift. I also wanted to say thanks for the heads up. I'm just now getting into buying better quality yarns and don't really know what to look for (or what to look out for), so I appreciate the voice of experience.

Beautiful blanket!

·
Registered
141 Posts
I learned the hard way about hand dyed yarns.Several years ago I purchased two hanks at a fiber show, the lady said they were a good match. I wanted to make The Central Park Hoodie and all went well until i started the second hank. It was lighter than the first one. I keep looking at the pieces knowing I have to frog it to make it look right, but all that work, now I really must frog it because I've gained some weight and it wouldn't fit anyway (that's my story and I'm sticking to it). :roll:

1 - 20 of 40 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top Bottom