Knitting and Crochet Forum banner
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Actually , I just taught myself about 5 days ago. And just a few days prior to that I taught myself how to knit with dpns to my joy. I have wanted to know how to knit since I was 22 yrs old and am now 63. But, a year and a half ago I finally figured it out. I'm still learning. And I know that this is not something set in stone that it has to be done one way. Although I have crocheted since I was 12, I really love knitting. I get such a sense of pride and satisfaction from the work.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Jenny I don't have a pattern. I guess you could say it was my own. But I can't take all the credit. These are made from a gathering of thoughts from other patterns. I have never written a pattern but I surely wouldn't care to share what I did with these. And I try to explain as follows:
I used size 7 needles , These will fit a med. to large
Cast on 32 using German Twisted cast on. There is a new way to cast on just for rib stitch on You tube and I think it was called "the stretchiest cast on ever".
and it truly is;
Knit 2x2 rib stitch for 26 rows
Knit 1 row
Knit row 2 appplying beads as you go to the even number stitch. Such as stitch #2 apply bead skip a stitch apply bead stitch #4 and so on.
Then on the next Row 3 apply beads to knit stitch on the odd stitches. I used the
technique of placing the beads using a crochet hook. I
think you can see this done at KnitPicks
Row 4 knit all stitches
Row 5 knit 16 stitches place stitch marker M1,K1
Row 6 (if using magic loop) K1, M1 place marker then k16
continue to do this until you have 12 stitches between your markers.
Next after you have the 12 stitches between the markers using a darning needle and scrap yarn remove 6 those stitches and place on hold. I cast on 2 stitches after I have removed those stitche then continue to the other side. Remove the other 6 stitches . I start counting rows at this point and continue knitting for 22 rows. Then on row 23 knit 2tog, knit 2 across the row Row 24 knit all stitches, Row 25 k2tog, K1 across the row. Row 25 K2tog across the row cut yarn leaving approx 12 inches to close the end. then starting on the thumb place stitches on your needles. Pick up 1 stitch slightly to the right and left of your stitches and also pick up 2 stitches above from where you had cast on the 2 stitches from before. I usually change my needles to a size smaller attach yarn and start knitting the thumb for 14 rounds on the 15th round I simply K2tog, cut yarn leave enough to seam up the tip of the thumb and if you might have any gaps along the side. I usually haven't had any gaps but I always cut about 12 inches just in case. I know this looks awful as a pattern but this is how I did these mittens. I will try later to sit down and really write the pattern out. But if you want to make smaller mittens I simply knit 18 rounds instead of the 22 and knit on the thumb approx 12 rounds. and of course use smaller needles a size 4 or 5 needle make a size small as I have small hands and I practiced with my hands for sizing.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I just hope all you lovely people can make sense of these instructions. I need to add these can be done on dpns. or knitted flat and seamed. But I hated seaming. But if you have to knit flat and seam please learn to do the mattress stitch it makes for a nicer looking pair of mittens.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Congratulations on teaching yourself to knit. I could never have learned without help. I did teach myself to use 2 circulars instead of dpns, but took a sock class that taught me to use dpns. 2 circulars and magic loop are similar, so I think I can segue over painlessly, but haven't tried yet.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
If you have learned all the other ways then this will not be a problem I don't think for you. At first you think how will I get this to go this way. My biggest problem is when I do that cast on "the stretchiest cast on ever" I really have to hold on keeping all the stitches lined up. And I do this until I get at least 2 rounds done. But, I never knew anyone who knit. Mom taught me to crochet when I was 12 and she did the most beautiful work. But I wanted to learn to knit. I am so grateful to be able to do this now.

·
Registered
293 Posts
Magic loop is fantastic! Took me a few froggings to figure it out but once did that - a charm!
The mittens are lovely - don't have too much use for them in Central Texas except for this past week, especially yesterday when we had snow!
Keep up the good work!

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
What I was trying to say is use the German Twisted cast on method. The yarn I used was Red Heart Super Saver in Royal Blue. I think there is a number system now for yarns and this was a #4. I used a different cast I found on Youtube. All I know of what it was called was "the stretchiest cast on ever" Truly is the stretchiest. The German Twisted cast on is excellent for ribbing but this new cast on is even better. It is a very good video and the instructor does an excellent job. I took me a while to catch on but I did and now that is the only cast on I use for the rib stitch or some may call ribbing 2x2 or 1x1.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
One thing I left out on the directions for these mittens. On Row 5 you need to increase 2 stitches on each side of magic loop knitting. Or Row 5 knit 6 M1 continue knitting until 6 stitches from the end and M1 continue instructions for increases for thumb gusset as stated above.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Thank you so much. the thing of it is this is the first mitten and the second was on my needles. I have since gotten the beading done on second mitten and it is even prettier than the first. Goes to show you the more you do this the better it gets. But I was suprisingly pleased as well. You would not believe the people who have seen these who want a pair. I am not a fast knitter but I can have them done in 2 days at least.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top Bottom