Knitting and Crochet Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
327 Posts
snoozi_suzi said:
I'm afraid I don't understand how a Magic Loop works. Sounds interesting but what is it? Feeling dense.
Do a search for Magic Loop on youtube.com
There are loads of videos you can watch over and over.

I've also purchased several books which include instructions. JoAnn Fabrics or Michaels have them. Or you can order them from Knit Picks or Amazon online. There is one small, almost pamphlet size book strictly about the Magic Loop method. It's not very expensive, but I've only seen it online. It's the best source to keep in your knitting bag.

I knit socks two-at-a-time on one 40" circular needle, only use the Magic Loop method and wouldn't have it any other way. Incidentally, I use Knit Picks needles or Addi Turbo lace needles because they have pointier (is that a word?) tips. Since I'm using size 1 or 2, good sharp points are important to me.

·
Registered
16,345 Posts
If you go to youtube and search some videos, it should become clearer how it works (I am a visual learner, so that helped me understand it). Some people really love it, and I tried it out and didn't like it--but it is certainly another option that you might fall in love with. That's the great thing about knitting--so many options!

Here's one:

·
Registered
4,194 Posts
The magic about the loop is the fact that its a method of knitting both socks at the same time, whereas one used to have to start all over again once the first was finished.

On the loop, you knit in a figure 8. It fascinated me from the beginning when I spotted something about it and I truly love making socks by this method.

Yesterday I learned Cat Bordhi's Sweet Tomato Heel. That's the thing about knitting on the loop - its fascinating! And Cat keeps introducing new ways of doing the tried and true. I learned how to knit a cowl in a figure 8 from one of her books and intend to make several items from her other books. I find her knitted necklace (of little socks) particularily fascinating. I want to do a bowl or 2 and her hats that sprout tendrils - on and on. She keeps me in the "fascinated" stage. She's the Wonder Woman of Knitting!

·
Registered
85 Posts
Can someone please explain? I watched the video on magic loop. She was using 40" cables with a 20 stitch CO. It seemed so complicated. For small things, I just use 16" and then DPN's for the last bit. What is the advantage to using magic loop. I am always up for a challenge but I must be missing something.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Darlean said:
Can someone please explain? I watched the video on magic loop. She was using 40" cables with a 20 stitch CO. It seemed so complicated. For small things, I just use 16" and then DPN's for the last bit. What is the advantage to using magic loop. I am always up for a challenge but I must be missing something.
I have never use DPN's for socks so I'm going by what I have heard other knitters say. With your sock on a cable rather than 3 or 4 or 5 needles you don't have to worry about stitches falling off, you can try the sock on as you knit and you always know where you are in your pattern. You don't have to knit two at a time ( I don't because I find it confusing). I use a 32" cable and do just dandy with one sock at a time. You cast on your total stitches, pull the cable out in the middle, connect the round and off you go.

·
Registered
1 Posts
New here, enjoying the conversation. With the long cables used in Magic Loop, you can knit flat or circular, from a 3-stitch I-cord to a 300+-stitch blanket. If you want to knit circular, you can make I-cords, socks, double-layer scarves and blankets, etc.

·
Registered
23,691 Posts
I want every book and video she has made.. I love to see her techniques I just did a pair of 2 at a time toe up, using the sweet tomatoe heel.. it was great..
I think I like the 2 at a time on 2 needles the best.. I love the DPN's but getting both socks done at the same time is a huge bonus for me..
the magic loop to me was too fussy... I just want to knit in circles.. LOL but it sure does help to know we can pull our cables out between our stitches with out ruining our piece.

nitwit04 said:
The magic about the loop is the fact that its a method of knitting both socks at the same time, whereas one used to have to start all over again once the first was finished.

On the loop, you knit in a figure 8. It fascinated me from the beginning when I spotted something about it and I truly love making socks by this method.

Yesterday I learned Cat Bordhi's Sweet Tomato Heel. That's the thing about knitting on the loop - its fascinating! And Cat keeps introducing new ways of doing the tried and true. I learned how to knit a cowl in a figure 8 from one of her books and intend to make several items from her other books. I find her knitted necklace (of little socks) particularily fascinating. I want to do a bowl or 2 and her hats that sprout tendrils - on and on. She keeps me in the "fascinated" stage. She's the Wonder Woman of Knitting!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top Bottom