Knitting and Crochet Forum banner
  • Wondering how to use different site features? Please visit our FAQ. Still have questions? Post to our Community Help section for a speedy response.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm so upset with myself. I made socks for my son and when he went to try them on my decreases went from the top of the toes back to the heel (vertical) instead of horizontal across the toes. I've made about two dozen pairs of socks and never this kind of mistake. I'm still trying to figure out how I did it!

My problem is since sock yarn is so thin, I'm afraid of losing stitches while I'm putting them back on my 9" circular needle? I've already put in a lifeline back to where I started my decreases. Any other help would be greatly appreciated. My fear is losing stitches.

Thank you all for your help and suggestions. Stay safe.

Liz

·
Registered
11,765 Posts
I messed up the decreasing for the toe, one time, on one sock and set it aside for a couple of years before getting it back out, frogging back to before the first mistake and finishing said sock. I still wear those socks. We probably all do it sometime. I haven't done it again. :sm01:

If you have a smaller gauge needle than the one you use for socks, use that to pick up the stitches and transfer to your regular sock needle afterwards. :sm01:

·
Registered
10,317 Posts
My suggestion would be, after obtaining the white cloth and direct good light suggested above, is sit at a table where you can look directly down at your work on a flat surface, and do only 10 stitches at a time, being very consistent in which leg you will pick up. Give your eyes a break and do the next ten. Sometimes I even manage to squeak out 20 before I go cross-eyed. Good luck!

·
Registered
10,895 Posts
Would it help to use markers....when I dec for the toe (I'm using 3 dpns tho) & have to mark where my dec's go & also the start of my round....haven't had any problems this way....

I also note on paper my dec & k rounds to keep track....

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top Bottom