Knitting and Crochet Forum banner
  • Wondering how to use different site features? Please visit our FAQ. Still have questions? Post to our Community Help section for a speedy response.
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My grandson is being baptized tomorrow. I started his gown 3 weeks ago. Fingering yarn and #1 needles. I gave up getting it finished tonight when it became obvious that I wasn't going to get it finished. The other problem is that it is HUGE. I am so frustrated and feel like such a failure!!! I am having a first class pity party!!! I know that I am being unreasonable but I am so disappointed. He is my 4th grandbaby and I got the others done just fine, that is part of why I am so frustrated. I feel like I am letting everyone down and I don't like it!! Whaaaaa! Thanks for listening. It helps!

·
Registered
3,277 Posts
There is only one "special" christening gown in my family. Perhaps this new baby can wear one of the others.

Don't stress yourself out. Enjoy the day and perhaps make this baby an outfit he can wear more than just once.

You tried and that says a lot.

SEA

·
Registered
978 Posts
I have three grands (2,4,&6). I have cross stitched blankets for the older two. The third one sits by my chair laughing at me while I knit. :) So cheer up you are only human. It happens to all of us. Maybe I'll get this one done before he get married. Lol

·
Registered
23,691 Posts
I made the first grandchilds layette.. by the second child she had none of the first one left so I got started again.. same thing happened with the third child.. she got store bought... and 1 home made quilt.. none of these items are still around.. so frustrating ...I hope there is a gown for the baby that you had made for one of the others.. otherwise you may be running to the store on the way to the church... I'm so sorry this happened... but you can finish it and take pictures for the baby album.. with the captions under explaining the different gowns...

·
Registered
84 Posts
We have one christening gown in the family and it is used by everyone and their names and dates are embroidered on it making it very special. There is no reason that you can't use one of the others and start a new tradition. Pam ;)

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks to all for your words of encouragement. I was gently reminded by my sister that it is not about the gown...how true! He was able to wear his brothers gown, I didn't think it would fit but it did perfectly! Two very differently sized boys. I am going to make a pillow with the lace pattern that his mom liked and then make him a sweater to wear. The best part is that now the first gown is the heirloom. No the best part is that he has been baptized and God is Great! Thanks Sheriet

·
Registered
3,497 Posts
I sewed a christening gown for my first grandson and the 2nd one wore it also. The girls wore parts of their mothers christening outfits and parts of their aunts. I embroidered names on each and everyone is happy. Try to get another one that you have made and finish the one you started and give it to Mom for perhaps a second child.

·
Registered
1,944 Posts
phammitt said:
We have one christening gown in the family and it is used by everyone and their names and dates are embroidered on it making it very special. There is no reason that you can't use one of the others and start a new tradition. Pam ;)
My mother made a christening gown for me 67 years ago. As of August, 2011, it was worn by my sister, brother, my nephew and 5 nieces, my nephew's 3 boys and my niece's son. I wish we had thought of embroidering the names and dates on it. Maybe I'll talk to my brother and sister and see what they think of this idea.

·
Registered
4,404 Posts
I have nine grandchildren (eight boys and one girl (the baby)). My daughter told me that she was having a naming ceremony and I told her if she wanted the baby to wear her Christening robe, which all four of my children wore (three sons and one daughter) then it had to be done by 12 weeks, she is now 13 weeks and it doesn't look like she will get her done. None of my grandchildren have been baptised (christened for us) so I will have to hope for great grandchildren to wear the christening robe.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Embroidering the names and dates on the gown really makes it an heirloom, the gown I made for my son has been worn by him, his sister, my 2 nephews, 3 neices, and both of my grandsons, and is now being used by my greatneice. The embroidery looks fantastic and everyone is surprised at the number of people who have worn it.

God Bless,
Pam ;)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top Bottom