Knitting and Crochet Forum banner
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
525 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have lived in my current community for 34 years, I am now 64. Soon we will be leaving and moving back, I am assuming to our hometown, which has grown from 28.000 people when we left to over 175.000 people. That alone intimidates me considerably. Most of my old friends have gone or passed away, or who knows what, we haven't kept in touch. Without joining a Sr. Center.....how do you meet other people when new to a place. I am not outgoing, but consider myself friendly and likeable, but new situations are difficult at best for me. I am excited about the changes, but scared to death. I am moving with my husband, who does work a PT job so gets to meet people, but even my family is gone. Thoughts? Please don't tell me just go out there ..... I need some specific ideas, groups, organizations etc with a purpose to get my feet wet.

·
Registered
4,063 Posts
Since you are on this site, I will assume you knit or crochet or craft in some way. If there is a local yarn store or hobby store, ask if there are groups that meet regularly that you could join. I participate in a local prayer shawl ministry which meets in a church but the ministry members do not all belong to that church. You can also do volunteer work - hospitals, food pantries, etc. If you have a religious affiliation, seek out that group. Also, you could post the name of the town here and see if there is another Knitting Paradise member you could link up with or who could guide you in what is available in the area.

·
Registered
12,087 Posts
Local knitting shops might have groups that meet. Church. Volunteer in a school, animal shelter or somewhere else. Library or maybe a coffee shop for a book or writing group. Just some thoughts. :sm01:

·
Registered
29,182 Posts
SDKATE said:
I have lived in my current community for 34 years, I am now 64. Soon we will be leaving and moving back, I am assuming to our hometown, which has grown from 28.000 people when we left to over 175.000 people. That alone intimidates me considerably. Most of my old friends have gone or passed away, or who knows what, we haven't kept in touch. Without joining a Sr. Center.....how do you meet other people when new to a place. I am not outgoing, but consider myself friendly and likeable, but new situations are difficult at best for me. I am excited about the changes, but scared to death. I am moving with my husband, who does work a PT job so gets to meet people, but even my family is gone. Thoughts? Please don't tell me just go out there ..... I need some specific ideas, groups, organizations etc with a purpose to get my feet wet.
Join a church which usually brings instant camaraderie. Take classes. Join a gym. Learn to play one of those social games like bridge. Volunteer. Get a part time job.

·
Registered
525 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Whew, why is it that our immense problems seem so easy to solve when others are helping us. Church is a great idea, and the yarn shop (duh, why didn't I think of that?) gyms, classes, coffee shop, library, All these ideas are great, thank you so much!! Is anyone a Foster Grandparent? Before I knew we were moving I applied to do that in our current town, and sure enough, got accepted, but now will have to think about this in the larger city. The town I am moving from has about 23,000, and most of those are rural areas. Other ideas?

·
Registered
1,575 Posts
I was going to suggest taking a Park and Rec class, but you already poo-poo'ed it sort of. I joined a zumba class, and now I've made new friends and we share details about our lives, so they aren't just acquaintances any longer, and we are developing more caring relationships -- even now having lunches together...just a thought.

·
Registered
525 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I survived living in our current town by taking Park and Rec classes, met some wonderful people. I didn't poo poo that Idea I think it's great...guess I'll have to check my original post for where it sounds like that. I am excited that there are many swimming places open in the new city, I LOVE to swim...so that's my gym opening. Thanks for the PR reminder,.

·
Registered
2,515 Posts
We moved to a new city 12 years ago. I am not outgoing either but I joined the Y and took a class there, met people through the LYS, we volunteered to serve Meals on Wheels, we joined a church, and I became an Election Judge. We have made friends through all of these activities. BTW, I love Sioux Falls!

·
Registered
525 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Great to hear! We both have/had family there, born and raised. Moved north for a job when our kids were little.....visited often. But living there again is a little scary.....after becoming a small town girl. But it is going to be a needed change in our lives. Thanks

·
Registered
4,921 Posts
Volunteering is a great way to meet people. Most times, you can make your own schedule, and the varieties of volunteer jobs means you can find something you like to do.

It can be anything from working at the library, tutoring students, being a reading buddy, visiting shut-ins, office work.

In the 10 years since I retired and moved to a new town, I've volunteered at the local food bank, the library, an adult day care center, the hospital, and other places. I've joined several knitting groups, joined a group of women who play cards.

Check your local newspapers, church newsletters, the hospital, library, senior center, your town's website - you'll find lots to do.
I've also taken exercise and craft classes - it's never to late to learn something new.

·
Registered
11,912 Posts
Check the local library for a craft group that may meet there. You could make sure to knit or crochet everywhere and like minds will gravitate to you and start talking. Wishing you a calm, happy move and many happy years in your new home.

·
Registered
8,033 Posts
When my mother moved from Phila, PA to Murphy, NC I never thought she would adapt, but the first thing she did was join a church. She was warmly welcomed by the friendliest, most helpful people I ever met. Her move was pretty much the opposite of yours in that she was leaving a large city for a small town, but it was a huge transition. She was quite happy there as I'm sure you will be too. Get settled in, then follow up on some of the suggestions on here and have fun!

·
Registered
39,429 Posts
I met , for the first time, my pal Shirley. I was in the Mall having a coffee, and she approached and said " as you and I are both alone, may I sit with you?" we have been pals now for about 15 years......3 days per week, a coffee or such.

·
Registered
9,757 Posts
SDKATE said:
If you feel up to it then volunteering for something is a good way to meet new people. You could also see if they have a knitters guild to join where you move to. Joining in is the way to meet people. You often find you are forced to talk to new people if you go along to things on your own where everyone is in the same boat. People who go along to things with a friend often don't step outside that friendship to bother to make friends with other people there. Go alone and you will find yourself chatting to new people in no time at all. Good luck.

·
Registered
9,701 Posts
I got a little dog when I retired . I go out with her and I have met so many people . She is very cute ( described as a little lamb yesterday ) and even non dog owners stop to talk as well ! If I didn't have her I would probably spend my day in the house knitting or doing housework .

·
Registered
4,194 Posts
If senior centers in the area are anything like my local one, you will find everything suggested so far PLUS we have day trips to a dinner theater and other trips simply to lunch in a different nearby town.

Additionally, if they don't have a knitting group I suggest that you suggest one! That would bring people with a similar interest into your life.

·
Registered
8,659 Posts
I go to my local Senior Center and have met a lot of nice seniors. I even started a knitting group that meets there every Friday afternoon. My center has volunteer opportunities as well as a lending library, jigsaw puzzles, a reasonably priced lunch, a senior advisor, guest speakers, and a whole host of other things.

·
Registered
19 Posts
When I retired, I needed to find firends who didn't work so I joined a book club, a gardening club and a knitting group. The knitting group meets once a week and the other two groups meet once a month. You get to know people faster by meeting more frequently. The nice thing about each of these groups is that you do not have to go if something comes up in your life and you cannot make it that time. We also belong to a church where I found another great book club to join.

When we started going to Florida for the winter, we did not know one person in the town we decided to spend time in. Again I tried out three knitting groups and found very welcoming friends. I also joined a book club and we searched out a church that was a good match for us.

When my sister retired she joined a group of ladies who play Majhong (not sure of that spelling) in their homes. I am not too crazy about having to entertain people in my home so passed on that invite. I like groups that I can go to and there is not mich work on my part other than reading a book or knitting......not cleaning my house and making food!

i do not golf but a friend of mine who does has joined a couple of women's golf leagues and made very close frienda there. I do not do well with joining things that I have to attend.....like a league where they are counting on you to be there every week. I feel guilty if I can't go. I like to have the flexibility to choose if I want to go that day.....although I rarely miss spending time with the friends I have made. It is lots of fun and "therapy" time for my soul.
You have to make the effort to seek people out. They rarely come knocking at your door. I have found there are lots of other peole out there searching for friends as well. Good Luck!

1 - 20 of 43 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top Bottom