Knitting and Crochet Forum banner
  • Wondering how to use different site features? Please visit our FAQ. Still have questions? Post to our Community Help section for a speedy response.
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm going to do the sirdar blanket. Made up swatch last night...question it calls to make one on first stitch. I did a k1P1 and it works out ok but as I looked at the finish block am thinking this isn't going to be easy to sew up neatly.. You have four blocks to make the pattern. You sew them all together.. When knitting flat, I slip 1st stitch P wise and this gives a lovely salvage that makes sewing seam very nice and neat. Any suggestions please :) Cathy

·
Registered
11,537 Posts
cdanzinger said:
that's what I did.. perhaps I didn't say that right.. If I do the increase with using the bar between the stitch do I use a right or left slant :?:
Sorry for the confusion....we all use different terms in our knitting don't we?
If you "make one" by knitting in the front and back of the first stitch that would make that left side seam slant to the left? If you "increased" by knitting the bar between the first and second stitch I think it would still slant to the left. Sorry but I am not getting why you would need to increase one stitch at the start of a row for something that needs to end up being a square, unless you decrease on the next row. I think we need more help..... :(

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Pattern begins with co 3 st's.
1st row: Incr in 1st st, k2
Row 2 same but k3
row 3 you still incr but are doing a pattern now

You do the increase in 1st till row 20 and then you start decrease. can't print pattern for copyright purposes.
Hope this helps you understand.. Cathy

·
Registered
648 Posts
yes now i get it ur doing it like a diamond shape well when we did some like that it was a feature as it made like a hole up the side if my memory serves me right ,it only left a very narrow side for sewing up. jane

·
Registered
15,555 Posts
I would just kl in the front and back of the first stitch. Perhaps if you wanted an "invisible" increase you could work the first stitch and then pick up the bar between that and the 2nd stitch and knit into the back of it, remembering to do that all the time. Depends on what the pattern is after the first couple of rows.

·
Registered
648 Posts
if i remember correctly it was whipped up through the holes and ribbon threaded through to finish it off. it was something i did not take pic of either as i now do with all projects for future use when choosing my pattern or to show some-one asking for something to be knitted .it makes it easier to use pattern next time as pics i take show more detail than usual patterns bought do show ,jane . if u go ahead with it turn it into a feature , it is only 4 pieces to join if i remember ,cos i think i did extra 2 and made pram pillow same design with the ribbon round the edging .

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
If you want to refer to pic,, go to search and put in sirdar 3806 and it will come up as the first one posted I believe the 25th. You do sew the four together to make one larger square and then you sew them together.. Cathy

·
Registered
41,373 Posts
Of you want to do the slip that you normally use, go for it and make the increase by doing a M1 in the next bar. as long as you are consistent, I see no reason not to use the edge you prefer.

·
Premium Member
80,985 Posts

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Oh Jessica Jean, you are a MARVEL.... I like your pattern so much better and all the work you put into making it clearer...so helpful :-D :-D :-D I love idea of making each triangle different. It looks like the two going east and west are the same color though..or is that just the light. How much yarn did you use then of those colors.. I love the color scheme of the rest. Thank you, thank you.. :thumbup: Cathy

·
Registered
81,246 Posts
cdanzinger said:
I'm going to do the sirdar blanket. Made up swatch last night...question it calls to make one on first stitch. I did a k1P1 and it works out ok but as I looked at the finish block am thinking this isn't going to be easy to sew up neatly.. You have four blocks to make the pattern. You sew them all together.. When knitting flat, I slip 1st stitch P wise and this gives a lovely salvage that makes sewing seam very nice and neat. Any suggestions please :) Cathy
Don't know the Sirdar Blanket, but for a recent project, where the pattern called for an m1 at the beginning of the row, I added just one stitch, which I kept as a k1, m1... sometimes I add a 3 stitch garter border, but that would throw out a blanket
perhaps... is it squares or whatever, joined?

·
Registered
4,977 Posts
Basically, it sounds like you are using the same idea as an old standard wash cloth. You cast on 3-5 stitches, knit first row, then increase in the first stitch of every row until 35-50 stitches, then decrease 1 at the beginning of every row until down to the 3-5 stitches and bind off. Any way that you do the increase, do it consistantly.

·
Premium Member
80,985 Posts
cdanzinger said:
Oh Jessica Jean, you are a MARVEL.... I like your pattern so much better and all the work you put into making it clearer...so helpful :-D :-D :-D I love idea of making each triangle different. It looks like the two going east and west are the same color though..or is that just the light. How much yarn did you use then of those colors.. I love the color scheme of the rest. Thank you, thank you.. :thumbup: Cathy
Each triangle is about 80g. That square is no longer; I only assembled the first four to get a picture of what each square would look like attached by a chain from corner to center. They are now separated and waiting for the rest to be finished. Once assembled - with black yarn probably - there will not be any two same-coloured triangles in any one square, and - if I do it right, none abutting each other either.

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Oh that sounds glorious.. ok what yarn did you use... I'm going back now to the u tube for the yo make one...I just love learning new things and being pushed and encouraged by many like yourself,,,but you're one of a kind :lol:Blessings, Cathy

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top Bottom