Knitting and Crochet Forum banner
1 - 20 of 122 Posts

·
Registered
11,389 Posts
I don't mean to rain on your parade but I can think of several reasons why this isn't such a good idea. First of all plarn offers no warmth, secondly homeless (men particularly) shun shelters and prefer to sleep in parks...they want blankets that can easily be rolled, are not "heavy" and easy to tie to a backpack...plarn items do not meet those needs.

A few years ago I was bringing some things to a homeless shelter to donate. The woman in charge was explaining to another woman, who had brought in some "plarn" blankets and pads that the homeless need real help, making them items from "trash" or throw away items is insulting.

I understand your need to keep costs down but would you ask your children or grandchildren to use blankets made from plarn?

·
Registered
7,116 Posts
((((((( Wow, a plarn blanket. KEWL!!

Are you knitting or crocheting? Pop a search using your craft

plarn blanket pattern or

plarn afghan pattern

There are different ways to join plarn strips into continuous strips. I suppose you know about them? One is a slip knot. You can find that on the web, too!

Good luck & HAND!
~~~~~~~~
Mina said:
Does anyone have a pattern for making a blanket using plarn? Our church is interested in getting a group together to start on this project as part of our outreach ministry.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I volunteer at a homeless shelter.. and plan. afghans would not work. i don't know what you are thinking about .
Maybe an outreach ministry where you knit and crochet plastic bags to make a bigger bag and sell those and use the money to help feed or cloth the homeless . but i can't believe you'd make a blanket out of plastic strips of bags..
Look at the scriptures below..

42 For I was hungry and you gave me nothing to eat, I was thirsty and you gave me nothing to drink, 43 I was a stranger and you did not invite me in, I needed clothes and you did not clothe me, I was sick and in prison and you did not look after me.’

44 “They also will answer, ‘Lord, when did we see you hungry or thirsty or a stranger or needing clothes or sick or in prison, and did not help you?’

45 “He will reply, ‘Truly I tell you, whatever you did not do for one of the least of these, you did not do for me.’

·
Registered
208 Posts
I agree with Courier - some of these plastic bags are full of lead too. Our local CVS stores even recalled them. So why expose anyone? If you want to help the homeless give them a nice big sandwich and a drink. Give up your lunch one day, if finances are tight, as they are for most of us. And as a health care person: may I suggest that while interacting with the homeless: please make eye contact, engage them in a bit of conversation if possible, in other words SEE them. I often hear them say that people look past them or away, or "through" them. We all like to be acknowledged.

·
Registered
12 Posts
The bags are most welcome knitted into mats that a homeless person can sleep on because they keep the dampness away from the bodies. We have a tent city near where I live and they always appreciate getting them. However, I think they are too stiff to be used as a blanket. Good luck with your project

·
Registered
177 Posts
I know you mean well, but my rule of thumb is that if I wouldn't use it myself, it ought to be tossed.

A neighbor lady scolded me for throwing out some boxes of crackers that were well past their expiration date, telling me that I should have given them to one of the guys holdingf a sign on the freeway entrance. My impulse was that the only thing the homeless had left of any real value was their pride, and if there was any hope of them digging themselves out of the hole they were in, they would definitely need a healthy self-respect to do it. Giving them garbage would only help to erode the one tool they have left to help them out of their plight.

·
Registered
2,770 Posts
I feed the expired food to my chickens (unless it's spoiled). They eat anything! I have 10 chickens and they are fun. They all have their own personality. Can't housebreak them though, LOL! :D

·
Registered
11,389 Posts
I spoke to my cousin a little while ago (via facebook). For a brief time in her life she was homeless, living first in her car and then in a shelter, until she got back on her feet. She is an avid knitter. I posed the question to her about how she would feel if someone made her a blanket or pad out of plastic bags during that time of her life. Figured going to someone who had experienced this in their life would probably be best. She said "I'd be infuriated".

·
Registered
64 Posts
courier770 said:
cut up plastic grocery bags!
Um....a "blanket" from those cut up grocery bags???? Excuse me, but that sounds horrible! For anyone to try to use for warmth, or shelter!
I've never heard of this, lots of other items made from this material, but never a blanket!

1 - 20 of 122 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top Bottom