Knitting and Crochet Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I would like to make a coat for myself..the pattern says
cast on 34(33,40,44) just an example..

If i want to make the coat in a 40 lets say do I cast on still the 34 or do I cast on 40 and follow all the colours for that number? I'm lost..

Brenda

·
Registered
7,116 Posts
Brenda - I'm thinking it's 40 - can you attach the pattern? Do a good measurement on yourself, too, perhaps.

·
Registered
3,072 Posts
It's my understanding (realize I am just returning to knitting, so things may have changed) but the sizes that you speak of at the beginning of your pattern are for chest size. I understand that "ease" is built into the size (ease is the amount between your body and the knitting - if anyone knows differently these days, please chime in and let us know.)

I wear a 42 and if I can't find a 42 size listed on the pattern, I knit either size, up or down depending on how tight or loose I want it to fit. Standard ease is 3", although some patterns will tell you how much ease is built into the measurements/pattern - so if my chest measures 41 1/2, and the sizes state 40, 42, 44, etc., then I would choose the 44 size because of the standard 3" ease. I could use the 46 size, but then that would be sized for a 43 inch chest.

Sometimes, it's a guessing game, and that's why we use a gauge to start. The gauge is the most important thing about knitting and will help with you choosing the right size of pattern. Best wishes for a great garment

·
Registered
955 Posts
Hi Brenda
EXAMPLE
Gauge: 20 sts = 4" measure over pattern using 6US needles.

To Fit: 34 (38, 42, 46)"
Actual Finished Measurement 38 (42, 46, 50)"

Cast on 95 ( 105, 115, 125) sts

You would look for the To fit size and choose the corresponding AFM size i.e. TF = 34" AFM = 38" Cast on would be 95 sts.

If I haven't explained that very well just message me.

Gracie

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top Bottom