Knitting and Crochet Forum banner
  • Wondering how to use different site features? Please visit our FAQ. Still have questions? Post to our Community Help section for a speedy response.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, you probably think I'm off my rocker but I'm trying to make the strawberry baby hat larger for an older child and an adult If I keep on adding a certain amount of stitches will the shape of the hat be deformed? Is it the same with sweater patterns?

·
Registered
1,795 Posts
michaelena said:
Okay, you probably think I'm off my rocker but I'm trying to make the strawberry baby hat larger for an older child and an adult If I keep on adding a certain amount of stitches will the shape of the hat be deformed? Is it the same with sweater patterns?
You have to look at the stitch pattern and increase by the amount of the stitch pattern. Another way to increase size by a bit like from baby to small child is to go up in yarn and needle size but use same pattern. For child to adult you have to rework the pattern stitch counts and rows.

·
Registered
5,401 Posts
Use thicker yarn and the appropriate needle and knit to fit the child or woman.
Type strawberry hat in google and you might find a pattern just like the baby one but for a child or larger.
Carol J.

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks y'all, I've got to get something done. Everytime I see a pattern or yarn I buy it because I don't know if I'll see it again......am I off my rocker? Same with quilting. When hubby and I go on a little trip( 2 1/2 hrs from Portland) we go to Centervale, New Hampshire and of course I stop at the Keepsake Quilting shop and Patternworks next door. I've never left without spending $100.00. Keepsake has everything, even jewelry, notions, hand cream, little stuffed animals for the grandkids. And Patternworks, well I stand at the door and wonder which way to go....left, right??? Beautiful yarn and great samples of items knitted. So, my craft room has piles....but still a path....hahaha. I will let everyone know how this comes out...hugs michaelena

·
Registered
10,813 Posts
michaelena said:
Sweater patterns require a certain amount of math and thinking to change the size. Some basic patterns can indeed just be made larger with different needles, but that may change the drape of the finished item; or by adding extra stitches.

But - if you've ever looked at a sewing pattern that has multiple sizes, you see that sometimes the shaping for the curves, darts, armholes, etc. moves with different sizes - so too in knitting. You may need to recalculate for some shaping, if the designer hasn't done it already for you. When reading patterns, you may have seen some that say something like, "do this, but for this size only, do that" if you follow where I'm going...

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thank You Roxy, I've got some great ideas. It does say 6 mo, 1yr 2yrs., so if I want to make it larger just add the stitches the go from1 to 2 years, how they do it. If I mess up I can always give it to someone..

Thanks for taking the time to answer for me

Hugs
Michaelena

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top Bottom