Knitting and Crochet Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
12,216 Posts
Good morning! I had a pattern that said to use those cat toy plastic balls with bells inside from the Dollar Store. But I have been having a hard time finding them. Just yesterday I found a pattern that said to put bells in those plastic cases that vending machine toys come in. I have also seen plastic Easter eggs with bells in them used for toys and dolls. Whatever you choose, make sure it is secure. I would put the item in a little cloth bag and then in the toy. This way if the container should break, the contents will still be held inside by the bag. Saftey first! Hope this helps. Good luck! jb

·
Registered
442 Posts
Kids plastic kinder eggs are good for using just fill with dried rice or beads and join the two halves together secured with tape, the best to use is insulating tape, or glue the two halves together with super glue, but be careful not to get it on your skin or anything else.

·
Registered
3,179 Posts
Skullabyes said:
I want to knit some baby rattles and I am looking for any idea on what to use to make them rattle. Please help!
I recently ran across a cute pattern for a baby rattle and bookmarked it. Go to http://www.purlbee.com and look for Toadstool Baby Rattle. They said to use the round plastic cat toy, also. I wonder about using them, though, because they're easily broken and the pieces might poke out of the knitting. Anyway, the pattern is a good way to use up scraps.

·
Registered
12,216 Posts
Just to repeat a safety idea I posted: I would also put whatever the "rattle" item is inside a small cloth bag so if it gets broken, the pieces will be contained. Thanks. jb

·
Registered
632 Posts
I used to take two plastic bottle caps and put some beans or rice inside. That works for a fairly small rattle. Then tape them together with duct tape, or another strong tape. The cloth or a crocheted/knitted small bag or cover would be a good idea, too, just to double protect.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I have used large craft bells inside old plastic pill bottles with child proof lid. In Australia most of our plastic pill containers are of a soft plastic that will bend rather than break. I have made lots of baby toys using this method both for my own children and now my grandchildren and have never had any of the containers break. I hope this helps. Cheers Sybil

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top Bottom