Knitting and Crochet Forum banner
  • Wondering how to use different site features? Please visit our FAQ. Still have questions? Post to our Community Help section for a speedy response.
1 - 20 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
11,389 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Matching whites and blacks can be harder than matching colors! I am going to make a red celtic cape for my grand daughter and found a hat pattern I liked...and decided that this hat would look great in white..to wear with the red cape. Finding the "fun fur" yarn to match the feltable yarn was no easy task. I couldn't find anywhere that carried both items so I had to take a giant leap of faith that the color on my monitor matched the color of the fun fur yarn I had in my hand. YAY the wool yarn for felting arrived and holy cow it really does match the fun fur yarn! Phew!

Attachments

·
Registered
536 Posts
You did a great job matching with different yarns. A few yrs ago I had a big problem with Red Heart... it says no match.. not true. I purchased about 20 skeins of off white and was in the process, 3' into an afghan that had a pattern and realized, in daylight, that when I began the second bag of yarn, it didn't match. I was so angry I cut the afghan in half, duct taped it and sent it to the company with a letter. They did admit that one should ALWAYS check the dye lot and get enough of it as it does vary. They replaced it with an apology. It didn't replace all the nights of work on it but I learned a valuable lesson, always match the dye lots. I don't use much of that yarn anymore as I love the Vanna and the loops and impeccable. Patons and bernat are great, too. I do have a specialty shop where they will wind different colors together and the yarn is top notch. hand dyed for some. Keep up the wonderful work, I enjoy looking

·
Registered
11,389 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I always buy enough in one dye lot...or look for another supplier. I too learned the hard way, when I was a teenager - and dinosaurs still wandered the earth!!

Good for you on getting a resolution..granted no compensation for the hours and hours you had already invested.

This was tough since I was trying to match 2 different yarns from different companies and different types! My original thought was to make the felted part of the hat in red and the fun fur in white..but they are felted together and I KNOW I would end up with a red hat and "pink" fun fur after the red bled into the white.

·
Registered
11,389 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The pattern is called "Girl Talk"..and available for download..you pay..then you print! Fiber Trends has wonderful patterns, been using them for years. This one is just adorable. I'm going to fashion a "muff" to match :eek:)

·
Registered
536 Posts
Thanks for the kind words. Unless you knit,crochet or sew or craft no one realizes the work and time and how much of yourself goes into your work. I will no longer make anything for a young person /baby whose mother or laundry person has no idea how to properly wash the item without ruining it. My DIL washed a gorgeous hand dyed yarn surplice sweater she'd gotten as a gift for my granddaughter in with her sleepers..omg..it fits a barbie doll. I still want to cry. Am making a sweater in white Sirdar snowflake for a friend now. Her friend passed away before she could even start it so I am making it and then I can make some hundred things I have planned. I have so much to sew now,too.

·
Registered
11,389 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
My son's first wife was one of those "throw everything in the washer and the hotter the water the better"...ergo she became his EX wife! He just remarried and his new wife is great about these things..a very special and wonderful step mother to my grand daughter. She "demands" a yarn label from everything I knit for them!

I think this is a real "tip off" as to great "daughter in law material" (joke..sort of!).

Some years back I knitted this hoody sweater for my son that he just loves (still has it)..his first wife kept "stealing" it from him so he implored me to knit her one...I did..and then one day when I came to visit she had it on...with a HUGE red wine stain on it...never did knit for that girl again!

I have very good friends that I knit for, who do seem to appreciate the time involved...so don't worry there are those out there that appreciate the time and work involved. I knit for my friend Mary and ship her items..she responds by making and canning home made Salsa and Pesto sauce! I've got it made!

·
Registered
536 Posts
I am blessed with good friends that appreciate the cooking I do and return in kind. the one I am making the sweater for makes food items, too. she has a cookbook and a blog that are great but I don't think I can mention them here. will do on the general discussions area. Look for it and enjoy.

·
Registered
329 Posts
Thanks for the info. The hat pattern is adorable. I'm going to Fiber Trends right now to download it before I forget. I had never heard of Fiber Trends until the other day, you or someone mentioned it here. I checked it out and, you're right- it's a wonderful site. Please post pictures when you finish your lucky granddaughter's hat! Pam

·
Registered
1,850 Posts
The nice thing is even the white will have shadowing if you will where the fibers are more dense. So since that will create slight color variation, a slight difference in the regular yarn would probably still be fine. Glad you were able to match though, takes a big fear out of the whole thing. Should look super cute, you'll have to share when its done!

·
Registered
11,389 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Matching black can be a nightmare also! I think matching whites or blacks are more difficult than "colors". In person you cannot see any difference in these two yarns (color wise). I'm still working on my cape, but I'm getting closer to being done, then to start the one for my Grand daughter. This hat and a matching "muff" will go with the cape.

Every year I try to make an entire "fancy" outfit for her...I hope to find white corduroy or velveteen jeans and a turtleneck to wear with the whole thing..then of course I'm going to have to find "fur trimmed" boots...oh good grief, I get so carried away!

1 - 20 of 63 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top Bottom