Knitting and Crochet Forum banner
  • Wondering how to use different site features? Please visit our FAQ. Still have questions? Post to our Community Help section for a speedy response.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was given some variegated sock yarn (suggests needle size 1-3; super fine (1). The pattern I like for socks only calls for light weight (3) yarn. My brain froze. Help

·
Registered
4,735 Posts
No, size 7. Look at the band on the yarn. I was in the yarn store today and looking at all the yarns and the bands info.
I think what you are looking at on the link I sent says size "4 fingering" yarn. which is thinner.
For instance, the "6" chunky yarn I bought recommends a size 13 needle. Do an internet search for "yarn gauge" and you will find lots of info.
I'm learning something new every day.
Lois

·
Registered
6 Posts
If you are using a 4-ply sock yarn recommending US 1-3 needles, then your yarn is a fingering weight (most common sock weight) and the needle size would be a US 1-3. I usually use a 2.5mm-3.0mm (US 1-2) depending on the feel of the yarn.

·
Registered
11,389 Posts
Yarn with a rating of 1 is lace weight (slightly finer than sock) 2 is sock yarn/sport (aka fingering) 3 is DK (which is also usable for socks) 4 is Worsted, 5 is Heavy Worsted, 6 is Bulky, 7 is super bulky/chunky. Your yarns are drastically different and it is likely they are not good substitutes for your pattern. Generally speaking you can use a 3 in place of a 2 and all that will happen is that you will have a "denser" sock. Using a lace weight yarn with a pattern written for DK is going to result in a very "airy" sock, going down a needle size or two will make it denser but will produce a significantly smaller size, as both the yarn and the needle are smaller. hope this helps.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I forgot earlier that your pattern calls for a 3-dk yarn. In order to use your yarn with a pattern for dk weight, you can use your yarn double stranded and get the same result as using a dk weight yarn. So using your pattern and your fingering weight yarn doubled should work just fine. You still need about 100g of yarn to make an adult pair of socks.

·
Registered
286 Posts
woolerymammoth said:
I forgot earlier that your pattern calls for a 3-dk yarn. In order to use your yarn with a pattern for dk weight, you can use your yarn double stranded and get the same result as using a dk weight yarn. So using your pattern and your fingering weight yarn doubled should work just fine. You still need about 100g of yarn to make an adult pair of socks.
If you are going to double the yarn, you need double the yardage.

·
Registered
11,389 Posts
I have used 2 strands of laceweight, it doesn't equal DK, which is a rating 3 yarn, it ends up being a 2, which works for socks. HOWEVER, this makes for a yarn that "snags" easily. If you opt to double the strands, I suggest you not work with two skeins/balls. I'd wind 2 strands with a ball winder into one center pull ball. Less cumbersome! That's what I did.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top Bottom