Knitting and Crochet Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have yarn that measures 20 stitches to 4" using a #5 needle (measured by my friend). I found a pattern that I would like to use that calls for 22 stitches using a #6 needle. I am not sure how to measure, and if I go up or down a needle size to get the right gauge. Any help would be appreciated.

· Registered
7,116 Posts
((((((((( Thinkin' here.......

If you go up a needle size on anything, surely your swatch would get bigger and vise versa......so, run a gauge swatch with a both size needles......
~~~~~~~~~~

Evy said:
I have yarn that measures 20 stitches to 4" using a #5 needle (measured by my friend). I found a pattern that I would like to use that calls for 22 stitches using a #6 needle. I am not sure how to measure, and if I go up or down a needle size to get the right gauge. Any help would be appreciated.

· Premium Member
13,076 Posts
Evy said:
If your goal is to get more stitches per inch with the same yarn then you need to go down a needle size. Try knitting a gauge swatch with a #4 needle and then count your stitches in 4" to see what you get. (You may not be able to get exactly 22 stitches with the yarn you have, but you may be able to adapt the pattern to work with the gauge that you do get.)

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top Bottom