Knitting and Crochet Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
18,232 Posts
Another way ... assuming you have kitchen scale that weighs grams..... pull off yarn and weigh it until you have a gram... tie a loop to know where that length ends.
Now, measure the length of the yarn in the gram weight. let's say it is 3 yards. Now weigh the mass/ball of your mystery yarn ... let's say it is 25 grams.
So 25 grams and 3 yards per gram would mean that you have 75 yards of that yarn.

·
Registered
8,857 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
im trying to do this..... My chair measurement is 32.5 inches and i did 272 wraps.... 32.5 x 272 = 8840 / 36 = 245.56 yrds then to convert to meters i divide that by 1.09361 = 224.54 meters am i correct?

·
Registered
18,232 Posts
Yes, I ran the numbers too and came up with the same answer....
and if you wrapped the yarn in layers then the outer loops will be just a smidge longer than the loops going around the bare chair back...
so, just know, that those smidges will add up to a bit more than the 245+ yards.....

·
Registered
5,479 Posts
knit4ES said:
Another way ... assuming you have kitchen scale that weighs grams..... pull off yarn and weigh it until you have a gram... tie a loop to know where that length ends.
Now, measure the length of the yarn in the gram weight. let's say it is 3 yards. Now weigh the mass/ball of your mystery yarn ... let's say it is 25 grams.
So 25 grams and 3 yards per gram would mean that you have 75 yards of that yarn.
Thanks!

·
Registered
15,759 Posts
Diane D said:
http://www.knitchat.com/2008/04/22/how-tos-day-how-to-measure-your-mystery-yarn/

I am about to attempt this as i have wool but no label and i need to know how much i have.
Thanks for the link. I may just look in my local sporting goods store for one of these meters. Have a lot of mill end yarns that have no labels. I need to rewind them & it would be easier than weighing all of them on my scale. This way I could kill two birds with one stone, so to speak...measure the yardage as I'm winding the yarn.

·
Registered
8,857 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
laceluvr said:
Thanks for the link. I may just look in my local sporting goods store for one of these meters. Have a lot of mill end yarns that have no labels. I need to rewind them & it would be easier than weighing all of them on my scale. This way I could kill two birds with one stone, so to speak...measure the yardage as I'm winding the yarn.
I love it too. Asked my yarn supplier today about it and she shook her head and said no we dont import those. Oh well back to the chair and the winding and then the wniding back up into a ball.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top Bottom