Knitting and Crochet Forum banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
do we have any men knitters on this forum yet? I know there are lots of men that knit. I am just curious. I have a grandson that wants to learn. actually a couple of them.

·
Registered
7,116 Posts
(((((( I noticed one person who posted with a profile and pic and was a man..........I can't remember his name, though! LOL!!

Donna Rae )))))))

ldenise said:
do we have any men knitters on this forum yet? I know there are lots of men that knit. I am just curious. I have a grandson that wants to learn. actually a couple of them.

·
Registered
11,389 Posts
There used to be a site, not sure if it's still around www.menknit.net It's men who not only knit, but design patterns to meet men's "needs"...ok that sounded terrible, I hope you get my gist though.

One of the greatest patterns I ever found was for a liner with ear covers for inside a bicycle helmet that a fellow from this group designed (I've made several). There was also another site ..men who knit or something like that.

·
Registered
584 Posts
My grandson - age 10 has asked me to teach him to knit right along w/ his 9 year old sister. Of course I said yes! My mother was taught to knit, not by her mother, but by her father. When he was growing up with 7 other siblings (turn of the last century) his mother taught them all to knit so she could keep up with sock production for the family. He knit his own socks most of his life.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Hey all, One male knitter here. I knit for a GREAT grand daughter here in Ohio. Used to be a "closet" knitter, but now that I'm gonna hit the big Eight Oh next month, I don't care any more who knows. LOL Wayne

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Wayne said:
Hey all, One male knitter here. I knit for a GREAT grand daughter here in Ohio. Used to be a "closet" knitter, but now that I'm gonna hit the big Eight Oh next month, I don't care any more who knows. LOL Wayne
How wonderful! where in Ohio? If I can get you to say "GO BUCKS" you are on my good side.
I for one am glad you came out of the closet. From what I am hearing it seems to be becoming the in thing among a lot of the boy around 10 yrs of age. I wish my husband would take up something other than snoring while sitting in that chair. :lol:

·
Registered
351 Posts
My son, age 11, has learned to cast on and do the knit stitch. I have a group that I instruct how to do basic knitting at my younger son's school, and there is one boy in the group who is learning. My husband has a friend (who is a very rugged and outdoorsy type) who knits hats, scarves, etc. I know that these are not members, but it is nice to hear that boys are learning, and me are still interested in knitting.

A friend of mine who came from Poland tells me that when she was in school, all the children (even boys) learned to knit.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Well here is another male knitter - if you count machine knitting. Just started in January and really enjoying it. My grandchildren love the things I have made them and keep asking me to make something else. I am not one bit ashamed to say I knit. I like to keep my hands busy and have other hobbies such as carving egg shells as well.

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Good for you Marv... ! I am glad you chimed in here. and.. another Ohio Buckeye. Go Bucks!

·
Registered
3 Posts
I'm a male knitter, currently over my head with a pullover (no pun intended) that is a bit of a comedy of errors: knit two rows, rip one. There is a group site: MEN WHO KNIT that seems to be interesting. I'm still pending for acceptance. Reelartist in ABQ, NM

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Dahl... I love the humor..... I am glad to see the male knitters jumping in here. This is great. I told my husband I thought I might be making a mistake when I say " she posted this tip" when it might very well be a "he".

·
Registered
11,389 Posts
During WWII many men were literally forced to knit. The red cross distributed "kits" to our soldiers overseas. The kit was comprised of a metal tin, yarn, knitting needles and instructions on how to make socks and gloves. Some soldiers became so adept, they were able to trade "less than desirable" duties in exchange for knitting for a fellow soldier. Makes sense to me...clean latrines, pull kitchen duty...or knit?

I met one of these fellows at a Stitches Midwest show in Chicago some years ago...very interesting guy!

·
Registered
11,389 Posts
Your welcome..though I never could figure out why the red cross just didn't send these men socks and gloves! Today an "intact" kit can bring a small fortune on auction sites. I'd love to have one..but I'm not going to part with the money that the item commands!

·
Registered
105 Posts
Wayne said:

[/quote=cabin] You go Wayne!
I just taught my sisters boyfriend to knit. BUT, it's on the Knifty Knitter Looms (Long & Round). He loves it and is going crazy with them. LOL
He's 58 years old and he said he doesn't care if anyone knows. I think it's COOL if Men Knits or Crochet's! cabin

1 - 20 of 42 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top Bottom