Knitting and Crochet Forum banner
  • Wondering how to use different site features? Please visit our FAQ. Still have questions? Post to our Community Help section for a speedy response.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3,195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was asked to make a wool earflap hat the man needs to wear underneath his hard hat, but can't find any patterns for the bulky machine. I have a ribber so may be able to do one in the round if there is a pattern anywhere.
Thanks for any help.

Marg
NS Canada

·
Registered
26 Posts
Here's the link to my blog and the video's Diana Sullivan did for the hat: http://tommachineknittingguy.blogspot.com/2011/11/my-quick-knit-circular-troop-cap.html

Tom's Circular No Seam Hat

Materials: 4-ply worsted yarn, 2 ounces
Machine: 8 mm bulky with ribber

Set racking to H3
Set machine to plain knitting
Main bed - needles 17L to 17R
Ribber - needles 17L to 16R
With tension 0 knit zigzag row, hang comb and weights
Set machine for circular, T6 on both carriages.
With waste yarn, knit about 20 rows (10 rounds). Mark the first stitch on the main bed, which will help you fold the hem without twisting the knitting.
Knit 2 rows (1 round) with ravel cord.
Row counter to 000
Change to main yarn and knit 50 rows, if adding contrasting stripes do so here then continue to row 88 to fold hem.
Remove weights and comb, and open up space between beds to furthest "click"
Bring up the waste yarn you knitted first from the bottom through the center. Hang the stitches from the first row of the main color on the main bed, beginning at the end where you put a marker. Hang all the main bed stitches, then all the ribber stitches - a second loop on every needle.
Hang weights, using weight hangers (I used 4 large weights! You need lots of weight on circular knitting.)
RC000
Knit circular to row 68. Lengthen or shorten here, if necessary.
Tighten carriages one whole number.
On each bed, do a full-fashioned decrease with triple transfer tool (decreasing 8 stitches per round). Tom's tip: do one row's decrease and put those 3 needles on each end in hold before knitting the row.
Do the same for the next three rounds, decrease tension one full number (one click per round). After four rounds of decreasing, which is 8 rows on the row counter, you will have decreased 32 stitches, which makes a nice taper to the crown.
Knit 6 rounds (12 rows) waste yarn and release from machine. Remove waste yarn in cuff of hat and close top by gathering up stitches. Hide ends.

Look, no seams! You're finished!

Attachments

·
Registered
26 Posts
EAR FLAP HAT

Knit a tension swatch for your gauge, I used my Brother 260 and my tension was T6 for 6 rows and 4 stitches per inch. Next you need a head measurement, then subtract an inch or two so the hat is snug enough to your liking. I needed just under 20 inches in circumference.

I did the math and decided on 79/80 stitches for 20 inches circumference and a total of 51 rows for approximately 8.6 inches in length. Simple so far huh?

I the divided the circumference up like this:

Back - Flap - Front - Flap - Back
10 st - 20 st - 20 st - 20 st - 10 st

I did not concern myself with having an odd # of stitches when I used 79 stitches, the above is more of a reference, it works out well with odd amount of stitches!

So, lets get gong on this.

CO with WY, K several rows then K1 row ravel cord, CAL.

RC000 With MY K14 rows, CAR.

Bring all needles to hold leaving the 30 needles on carriage side in work, set carriage to hold and K 1 row. Bring the right most 10 needles to hold (20 needles in work for flap).

Short row shape (auto wrap) the 20 needles in work down to 6 stitches, then reverse short row (wrapping the yarn to prevent holes) until all 20 needles are back in work. CAL, wrap end needle in hold, return the 10 needles in hold on right side back to B position and K1 row, CAR. Set carriage to knit (cancel hold) and K 1 row, CAL.

Reverse for opposite side. CAR, reset RC000.

K14 rows, hang 1st row of stitches on needles, bring all needles out to D, remove ravel and WY, hang sufficient weight. Slowly knit first row. Knit to RC 31.

T5, one FF decrease each side, K1 row, RC032

T4, K1 row, RC033

T3, one FF decrease each side, K1 row, RC034

T2, transfer every other stitch across, K1 row, RC035

T1, K1 row, remove on WY.

Thread tapestry needle and go through every other crown stitch, then through the remaining stitches. This will give you a double ring and make a nice tight closure. Seam using mattress stitch.

If you like, you can knit I-cord right on the end of the flaps! You can also incorporate stitch designs or fair isle on the band of the hat (second 14 rows knitted).

NOTE: the FF decreases were done with the triple transfer tool, for a desrease of 4 stitches each time.

Attachments

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Top Bottom