Knitting and Crochet Forum banner
  • Wondering how to use different site features? Please visit our FAQ. Still have questions? Post to our Community Help section for a speedy response.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking for a beginner's pattern for men's socks (size 14). Just an easy plain pair of socks. My husband's legs swell during the day so I need to be able to increase the sock tops to accommodate. Also, suggestions for yarn (black) would be appreciated. Thanks so much!

·
Registered
5,401 Posts
Might be that legwarmers would work better for him. Measure his leg when swollen and cast on enough stitches to match that length. Be sure you add stitches in a multiple of 4 for knit 2 purl 2 ribbing but cast on over two needles for stretch, you cannot cut off the circulation in his legs. Measure from his knees to ankles, halfway down decrease. Use a formula of K2 p2, k2 together p2 together, k2 p2,do another decrease and then knit and purl that ribbing to his ankles, just enough to cover them. Try the legwarmer on him to make sure you didn't decrease too many at the end of the calf of his leg. Tight is his worst enemy.
With legwarmers he could wear his usual cotton socks under them and you wouldn't have to turn the heel or make the foot part. Wool socks or legwarmers do their best when worn over cotton socks.
With knitting worsted yarn use no. 7 or 8 needles, with sport yarn and many more stitches, use no.6. After you make a pair you will know which worked the best. I was sorry to see legwarmers went out of style years ago, they covered many a bare leg at the time they were a fad.

Carol J.

·
Registered
133 Posts
I have a sock pattern that is very easy. It's a women's sock pattern actually, but I knit them for my sons and my husband.

Our youngest son is a gym rat, and his legs press over 1,000 lbs. Point is he doesn't have chicken legs!

My husband had polio and one leg/foot is smaller than the other.

I'm sharing those things because the same pattern works for them all. I believe it's the perfect sock pattern.

It looks like you knitted cable socks, but you didn't.
There isn't the ribbing across the top, so it doesn't make marks and pinch leg parts.
It's done on magic loop, so it's so simple, easy peasy!

I know probably some people will roll their eyes, but I'm going to say the pattern is fail-safe. Absolutely every time I make a pair (usually one every two weeks in between other things) it always works up perfectly. No glitches. No problems.

It's a 56 stitch cast on, with a 7 stitch pattern. So you could very easily add 7 more stitches if you felt that your husband needed more. But honestly, the way the socks knit up I believe you'll be surprised that you don't need to make an adjustment.

You just knit the foot of the sock to the person, no adjustments to be made, no changing the pattern. You just knit to 1.75 inches of their toe and then decrease for the toe.

See? Easy Peasy! If you think it might be just what you're looking for let me know! (I just washed 3 pair that were worn throughout the week by my men. Funny that I would check in here and see this.)

Good Luck finding the perfect sock! Our family has the perfect sock!

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you so very, very much! This is a wonderful idea. And yes, I remember having leg warmers. Think I still have a pair that my Mom knit for me. I'll have to dig them out! Have a great weekend. I may have to contact you if I have problems with the knitting!

·
Registered
133 Posts
I hope the pattern request was for me! Well if not, you can never have too many patterns.

http://www.helloyarn.com/cabletwistsocks.htm

When I knit for the men in my life, I knit 8 patterns before I start the heel instead of six like the pattern picture shows. (assuming most men's legs are longer than women's). What I mean by that is, look at the picture, count down from the top of the sock, there are 6 full pattern sets. See them? I do 8 for the men.

Start your heel and the toe AFTER the last row of the pattern and then you'll always be able to make the 2nd sock look like the 1st one!

If you have any questions don't hesitate to PM me. I make at least 2 pair of these every month.

You can do the heel and toe in a solid. You can stripe them. You can do anything!

I hope you have as much fun as I do making them!

·
Registered
133 Posts
The LT (left twist) is so easy!

The pattern is 7 stitches. K5, P2. The P2 turns it into a soft ribbing. The K5 carry the pattern.

You K in the back of the second stitch to make the twist. You knit in the back of the stitch, but don't drop it off the needle!

Pull the needle back and slip (purl-wise) the stitch you skipped.

Now every other row you do that pattern and you move over one stitch in the 5 so that you get that twist stitch diagonal pattern.

Make sense? I hope so! Once you read it through and start, you won't even look at the pattern after just a quick bit!

·
Registered
189 Posts
trace your husbands foot & add at least 1/4 in to toe for the depth of toe & try on making sure there is no ease but not to tight so it wont fall down i hat that in this case it might be easeyer to do toe up so you can try it on as you go making sure you try it on as you go & after thaot heal don't do a lot of desgine let the yarn do that just do stocking net st on foot & ribbing after the heal ether k1 p1 or k2 p2 & only go as high as nessery my husband likes his 6 in for his boots try on often library is a good resorse & if they don't have it ask them to order you one good luck ps dont use all wool that will wear out to soon

·
Registered
133 Posts
In this top down sock pattern I shared with you, you can try that on as you go, too! Both for the leg and the foot part. Just have that special person put the sock on as if it was finished and you can measure and gauge the build as you're knitting!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top Bottom