Knitting and Crochet Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Long time knitter here who got adventurous.....knitted a prayer shawl length wise in stripes of about different yarns. It is really pretty but I did the math wrong and it is 11&1/2 feet long. I can bind and cut it. I am wondering if 'steeking' might be an alternative.

·
Registered
3,442 Posts
Yes, you can steek it.

I've done something similar for a knitter who accidentally knit a large throw for her bed in the round!

Find a clear vertical line from top to bottom of your piece about 5.75 feet in (5 feet 9 inches appx).

Use your sewing machine and machine stitch top to bottom about 3/4 to 1 inch to the left and then to right of your center line. Go back and forth from top to bottom several times so you have two firmly sewn columns about 1.5 to 2 inches apart. Then have a teaspoon or two of Mulliner's Buck-U-Uppo (tip of the hat to P.G. Wodehouse...see wikipedia for drug side effects) and cut up between the two columns.

You'll have raw edges which you can solve in a variety of ways, including attaching crocheted or knitted edges or covering both ends with blanket binding. You could also make a 4 or 5 stitch attached i-cord edging on both sides, first trimming back the excess yarn on the newly cut side.

It's very doable, and you'll learn a lot!

BTW...here's the link for the uses and effects of Buck-U-Uppo: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mulliner%27s_Buck-U-Uppo

·
Registered
4,961 Posts
The Official Prayer Shawl site recommends rectangle shawls to be 68 to 72 inches and that is what I knit. I think you got the math right. Some of the shawls our group knits are a bit shorter which is fine for smaller frame people.

Are you thinking of the size of fashion neck warmers? They're smaller.

·
Registered
3,442 Posts
I'm delighted that Buck-U-Uppo has struck a chord with all you folks!

I'm a hard-core P.G. Wodehouse fan and never tire of his silly, funny, characters and situations.
I so wish CVS carried Buck-U-Uppo, I'd order a case.

Apparently, someone at the BBC with taste and deep pockets featured "Mulliner's Buck-U-Uppo" as an episode of Wodehouse Playhouse{/i]. Herewith the link:

I'm gonna watch it now. BTW, I couldn't find a free print version of any Wodehouse book that included any of the Mulliner stories.

Oh...I did watch it...sort of disappointing because of the heavy-handed visuals...all that levitating is definitely not part of the writing.

·
Registered
2,144 Posts
k2p3-knit-on said:
The Official Prayer Shawl site recommends rectangle shawls to be 68 to 72 inches and that is what I knit. I think you got the math right. Some of the shawls our group knits are a bit shorter which is fine for smaller frame people.

Are you thinking of the size of fashion neck warmers? They're smaller.
68 " is 5 1/2 ft and 72 " is only 6 ft. She had knitted 12 ft, so two shawls or a long skinny blanket.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top Bottom