Knitting and Crochet Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
12,145 Posts
I'd be careful about washing instructions. I would not put two yarns together if they could not be laundered the same way.
That said, I've even "made" my own yarn by mixing different strands of threads together.
Swatch, swatch, swatch, and be as creative with yarns as you like. Just be careful you will get the necessary gauge.
Drape of the finished fabric will also be a consideration.
You can always frog and re-use what doesn't work out.

·
Registered
6,511 Posts
Yes, I've seen patterns which call for combining two different yarns--two different fibers. The ones I can think of combined a fine yarn such as silk with a worsted.

The manufacturers combine different fibers; we can too, as long as we are careful to combine those with like care instructions.

·
Registered
11,154 Posts
Who said wools can't be mixed? I have made dozens of articles with mixed yarns. Entrelac, for example, is a great way to use different yarns together. My hats (see avatar) of which I have about 100 are almost all made with mixed yarns/textures, etc.

·
Registered
617 Posts
Yes, you can mix yarns. You can knit them together, or mix them on different rows, or mix them by using entarsia. You have to make sure you get the result you want. When in doubt, swatch. I have mixed fragile hand wash only fibers with superwash. Just be sure to respect the most delicate fiber and you won't have a problem.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I too have just different yarns, as long as they have the same washing instructions. I have done this to make baby blanket warmer and so they go up faster when I combine two yarns as they can be knit with larger needles. I usually combine a colour with a plain colour they have turn out great.

·
Registered
10,969 Posts
You most certainly can mix yarns!!! If you are holding them together, you can mix any way you want to. If you are using them separately (a few rows or sections with one then switching to a different one) you should try to keep them at the same gauge, or you may need to adjust stitch count or pattern to accommodate the differences.

The only thing to watch for is the end product's washability. If you use a wool and acrylic, treat the item as if it were all wool and wash accordingly. If you've mixed a novelty yarn that should be hand washed and dryed flat (to keep it looking good) with a machine wash and dry acrylic, well - hand wash it or the overall look will be spoiled...

Otherwise - mix and match and enjoy!! :)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top Bottom