Knitting and Crochet Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
443 Posts
I have used the moebius cast on several times from Cat Bordhi's books and haven't found it too difficult. Like anything, once you find the rhythm it becomes easier. Will give this one a try as the beginning is different from Cat's cast on. Many patterns call themselves moebius but are only a twisted end and not a true mobius. Cat's cast on creates a never ending circle. Cat Bordhi's original video showing the moebius cast on and first row from her books is here.

·
Registered
24,411 Posts
Sewdiane said:
I have used this moebius cast on several times from Cat Bordhi's books. Many patterns call themselves moebius but are only a twisted end and not a true mobius. Cat's cast on creates a never ending circle. Cat Bordhi's original video showing the moebius cast on and first row from her books is here.
This is a genuine question, not a snarky remark. I never understand when people say it's not a moebius to knit flat and twist and seam it together. If you make a moebius strip from paper, that's exactly what you do. Why not in knitting?

·
Registered
443 Posts
I apologize if my remark sounded "snarky" and saw no question but a different, perhaps easier, way of doing the Moebius cast on. When knitting flat, you are knitting two edges and then twisting. The other you are continuously knitting one edge as shown in both of these videos. One is a 180 degree turn and one is a 360 degree turn. True, they resemble each other. I prefer to label this as a true moebius versus an infinity scarf. As with all things in knitting, we each have our own way of doing things.

·
Registered
10,152 Posts
jvallas said:
This is a genuine question, not a snarky remark. I never understand when people say it's not a moebius to knit flat and twist and seam it together. If you make a moebius strip from paper, that's exactly what you do. Why not in knitting?
It'a not a snarky remark. If you have a cowl and want to call it a smoke ring or an endless scarf, or a number of other names, that's fine. They all work.

But a mobius is a mathematical construct. It doesn't have a lot of different names, and it's description is mathematically precise. It has one surface, and one edge.

I think what people mean when they erroneously say that is that you can't cast on in the round and twist it and produce a mobius. The reason is that when you do that, it introduces a full twist (360 degrees) rather than the half-twist (180 degrees) that is needed for a mobius. But people who don't understand the construction misunderstood them because they didn't fully qualify what they were saying.

But, if you knit lengthwise, as if you were making a scarf, and then join the ends with a half twist, that's a mobus. It fits the definition.

·
Registered
24,411 Posts
Sewdiane said:
I apologize if my remark sounded "snarky" and saw no question but a different, perhaps easier, way of doing the Moebius cast on. When knitting flat, you are knitting two edges and then twisting. The other you are continuously knitting one edge as shown in both of these videos. One is a 180 degree turn and one is a 360 degree turn. True, they resemble each other. I prefer to label this as a true moebius versus an infinity scarf. As with all things in knitting, we each have our own way of doing things.
I definitely didn't mean you were being snarky! I was afraid my question might sound that way! Thanks for the info.

·
Registered
24,411 Posts
IndigoSpinner said:
It'a not a snarky remark. If you have a cowl and want to call it a smoke ring or an endless scarf, or a number of other names, that's fine. They all work.

But a mobius is a mathematical construct. It doesn't have a lot of different names, and it's description is mathematically precise. It has one surface, and one edge.

I think what people mean when they erroneously say that is that you can't cast on in the round and twist it and produce a mobius. The reason is that when you do that, it introduces a full twist (360 degrees) rather than the half-twist (180 degrees) that is needed for a mobius. But people who don't understand the construction misunderstood them because they didn't fully qualify what they were saying.

But, if you knit lengthwise, as if you were making a scarf, and then join the ends with a half twist, that's a mobus. It fits the definition.
Thanks. You just articulated what I was trying to figure out!

·
Registered
15,734 Posts
Ah, Elizza...love her videos. Usually, her cat Lucy comes around wanting to be in the video. Have watched many of her videos; but didn't see the one for the Mobius CO before. I've done Cat Bordhi's a few times; but will have to try Elizza's CO. Thanks for the link.

·
Registered
10,152 Posts

·
Registered
8,017 Posts
Thank you for sharing :sm01:

·
Registered
12,260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
norma goodrich said:
I prefer Nadel mobius cast on....very easy...see in your tube....
Looked on youtube. Could not find could not find a Mobius cast on called Nadel. Is there more to the name?

·
Registered
443 Posts
When searching YouTube for the "nadels mobius"/"Nadelspiel," I found it is the same link as the one the OP gave us in the beginning.
Looks like everyone has their favorite no matter what name it is called.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top Bottom